A couple of my favorite things

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rmartin

Rmartin

1. Sierra
Quality kit, easy to assemble, easy on the wallet.

2. Acrylic
BearToothWoods acrylic rod. Pre-rounded, easy to turn, easy to polish.

blue.jpg

red.jpg

Thanks for looking, comments welcome!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Those are very pretty pens. I like the simplicity of a single sleeve pen with a pre rounded blank. It sure makes it go quicker.

LeeR

Sierra -- I agree. I've turned 11 pens total, and 3 are Sierras (also known as Wall Street II from Woodcraft). My 3rd was one of the satin/chrome models, with no black plastic pieces. I really like the looks of them.

Regarding acylics, I just turned my first today. It was easier than I was expecting, and it came out great (picture coming!). The only issue I had was just the constant need to stop and clear away shavings. I was getting really long curls of continuous shavings from my skew, and they kept blocking my view. I need to rig up a dust collection nozzle really close to the blanks to try to pick up more shavings as they come off.

wiset1

Sweet...I keep thinking about these kits and the more I see them the closer I get to making the purchase. These pens look great!

Rmartin

Sierra -- I agree. I've turned 11 pens total, and 3 are Sierras (also known as Wall Street II from Woodcraft). My 3rd was one of the satin/chrome models, with no black plastic pieces. I really like the looks of them.

Regarding acrylics, I just turned my first today. It was easier than I was expecting, and it came out great (picture coming!). The only issue I had was just the constant need to stop and clear away shavings. I was getting really long curls of continuous shavings from my skew, and they kept blocking my view. I need to rig up a dust collection nozzle really close to the blanks to try to pick up more shavings as they come off.

Yeah, the shavings pile up after one pass. Most of the time they can be cleared while turning, but I still stop from time to time to completely remove them.

"You act like you're afraid of that saw", an older fellow at work commented while I was cutting some plywood sheets several years ago. I told him it's not an act. If I keep a healthy fear, then I keep all my body parts. Never get to comfortable.

Top Bottom