A couple more spalted water oaks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drstrangefart

Drstrangefart

154378_129739987086075_100001502242963_181180_6533185_n.jpg

This one's a christmas present for my brother in-law. I made the finish super thick so he could carry it at work and it will live through a severe beating. 4 coats thin CA, 4 coats medium CA, 2 coats thick CA, another 2 coats of thin CA, then micromesh up to 12,000.
65765_129740937085980_100001502242963_181188_4155497_n.jpg

This one's to fill an order for a customer of my wife's. She's selling more than I am by a considerable amount.

I'm still learning how to get a finish free of texture provided by the open grain on the wood. It's getting better with each one. I'll get plenty of practice as I have a lot of this material to work with.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Allen, my dirty secret to filling oak open grain is to sand it with a fine grit paper using thin CA as a lube. The dust turns into a slury filling the open pores without being visible. A light sanding with the same paper, not the part with the CA no it, smooths the CA slick. Then when the CA finish goes on it all becomes part of the finish and is slick, no pores to feel but they look like they are still there, just submerged. I am sure your millage will vary, but it works for me, so far. Try it on some scrap oak to see.
Charles

Drstrangefart

Allen, my dirty secret to filling oak open grain is to sand it with a fine grit paper using thin CA as a lube. The dust turns into a slury filling the open pores without being visible. A light sanding with the same paper, not the part with the CA no it, smooths the CA slick. Then when the CA finish goes on it all becomes part of the finish and is slick, no pores to feel but they look like they are still there, just submerged. I am sure your millage will vary, but it works for me, so far. Try it on some scrap oak to see.
Charles

I might just give that a shot. I can visualize how it would work. I was working on coating it in thin a few times, then hitting it with a big sanding disc, then the skew. It's a pretty rough grit and it blasts away a lot of areas. I'll see how adding a few drops of thin to the sanding process will work.

ctubbs

My personal choice of grit is the old ACME 600 grit. That is a finish grit we used to sand lacquer before buffing in the body shop. I think it is now somewhere around 1200 in the P grits.
Charles

Drstrangefart

I'll have to see what I have on hand for sandpapers. Mostly working with whatever's laying around until I get the sales moving more than one or two a month to invest harder.

Top Bottom