A couple more pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from watch_art

watch_art

Another wooden pen. African black wood or rose wood. Something. I HAD a bunch of it, but wasted three of four blanks trying to get one to drill out. Finally went to a spade bit and had great luck with that. I won't be making any wood pens for a while. I need a break. : /

I had forgotten how challenging micarta is to turn. Drilling wasn't so bad this time since my bits are better, but the stuff is still touchy. Hit it just right (meaning wrong) with the tool and a huge chunk will sort of rip out.

The green is a gorgeous polyester resin made by Invisible Blanks. I was walking with the family one day and saw this big greenish/brown beetle with little spots on its back and thought it would make an awesome blank. I think it worked. :D

The yellow black ebonite is another order and I'm really happy with how it turned out. That's some gorgeous stuff. :)

img_2994.jpg

img_2996.jpg

img_3013.jpg

img_3015.jpg

img_3028.jpg

img_3025.jpg

img_3022.jpg

img_3018.jpg

Now I need to go to bed. :)

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Wow, I thought you'd lost your internet connection. Nothing for a week or so. It's like you had to go back to school or something.:wink:

I really like the green & black one. I guess green is one of my favorite colors. But the wooden one is really cool too.

schreiber

Outstanding work!

I guess given the opportunity and my druthers, I'd be all over the last one -- the black & yellow. :glasses-cool:

Last edited:

watch_art

Thanks!
Yep - back to school so limiting my time on here. I spent the better part of three full evenings just working on lesson plans - just ORGANIZING them I mean. 8-O Wow - lots of work sometimes - but it's so much fun in the end. :)

alamocdc

Shawn, the micarta looks to have a tactile feel. Does it? I make my own micarta from time to time and it has a neat tactile feel. Yours has the same look.

biednick

What did you make that micarta out of? I just finished a blue jean pen today. Also, how did you get the threads so smooth? I can"t get micarta to thread that smooth on external threads so I moved the cap threads to the section.

watch_art

It's just some black linen stuff from Hancocks. I've also used denim with the same results. I oil the barrel up before I cut my threads and go real slow.
Be sure to use LOTS of fiberglass resin. Just enough to hold it together ISN'T ENOUGH. :)
Don't ask me how I know.

Also - while turning some bits of threads will fray up pretty bad - super glue is your friend.
So glue on the end, then when dry cut your threads.
Try that.

biednick

It's just some black linen stuff from Hancocks. I've also used denim with the same results. I oil the barrel up before I cut my threads and go real slow.
Be sure to use LOTS of fiberglass resin. Just enough to hold it together ISN'T ENOUGH. :)
Don't ask me how I know.

Also - while turning some bits of threads will fray up pretty bad - super glue is your friend.
So glue on the end, then when dry cut your threads.
Try that.

Alright, thanks. I saw your denim pens, and that was the inspiration for mine. I'll try putting threads back on the body next time.

InvisibleMan

These are all awesome - I love that ebonite pattern. Really cool.

So.....the green beetle won the first shot, eh? I think I like the other one just a smidge more. Of course, I'm projecting a blank into a pen in my mind. Could be wrong.

:)

SDB777

Was wondering on the wood pen you make, are you using an insert for the cap section to cut threads into, or are you thin CA'ing and cutting the threads right into the wood?

The cap shape on the last photo'd pen is very pleasing to the eye. Sort of flows into the body.....

Scott (not excited about school traffic in the Springs) B

watch_art

Thanks all!
Yep - I'm making plastic inserts for the cap too. No CA in there.

I did get a couple small voids in the micarta - some CA did a great job for most of it. Some of it I didn't notice or fill all the way - I figure that rough look is part of it. Plus if you CA the whole thing you don't get that fabric feel.

And Joe - Can't wait to see what you come up with.
I have a brown beetle blank, too. I'm excited to try that one out. :)

Shawn

Top Bottom