More buttony madness | newton pens
img_2747.jpg

A pen for a kid
97 – Blue Gray blues | newton pens
img_2762.jpg

And a customers Zebra stripe. :)
99 – The pen so nice they gave it stripes | newton pens
img_2766.jpg

Oh yeah, and I'm going to start doing urushi.
Urushi – Don't touch it. | newton pens
I only did the cap on this one - had to learn how b/c I scratched it. Ugh... But it's okay. :)
img_2704.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

I have no idea what a urushi, but since it has the name of my all time favorite rock band in it...it's got to be cool! Very cool turningz!!

Have you broke the No#100 yet?

Scott (2112 rocks) B

Timebandit

Question would be is it real Urushi Lacquer or just lacquer? This will determine if it is Urushi work or just lacquer work on pens. You need the real Urushi lacquer to do real Urushi. Either way, looks pretty good.

watch_art

Question would be is it real Urushi Lacquer or just lacquer? This will determine if it is Urushi work or just lacquer work on pens. You need the real Urushi lacquer to do real Urushi. Either way, looks pretty good.

It's real urushi - otherwise I wouldn't have called it urushi. Scottelle here on IAP told me how to apply it, and the tube came from Japan.
It's this stuff...

post-73732-0-49427800-1339422071.jpg

Photo is from the guy on FPN who had it and then sold it. He said he couldn't get it to cure. I've had no such problems. I bought a big tupperware box and made it humid like Scott told me to do. Wipe it on thin, wipe it off, set aside for a day or so. Do it again. Repeat.

Last edited:

BSea

I don't really know what urushi is either, but it doesn't matter because I think the button filler is out of this world. I'm guessing that pen took just a little longer to make than one of your typical creations. (if any are really typical)

Timebandit

It's real urushi - otherwise I wouldn't have called it urushi. Scottelle here on IAP told me how to apply it, and the tube came from Japan.
It's this stuff...

post-73732-0-49427800-1339422071.jpg

Photo is from the guy on FPN who had it and then sold it. He said he couldn't get it to cure. I've had no such problems. I bought a big tupperware box and made it humid like Scott told me to do. Wipe it on thin, wipe it off, set aside for a day or so. Do it again. Repeat.

Very nice! Just checking! Been looking at this stuff yesterday and almost put my order in. Coming from the same place in Japan:biggrin:

EDIT:See you got yours off of FPN. I will be getting it from Japan.

watch_art

You should go for it. Just get some disposable plastic gloves, some paper plates, and lint free Kimwipes. It only takes a little bit at a time. It is time consuming though. I spent a few weeks on the cap. Too long really - but until I got the kimwipes I was constantly sanding it down (with soft micromesh) to get lint out of it. Shouldn't take that long if you do it right from the get go. :)

Timebandit

You should go for it. Just get some disposable plastic gloves, some paper plates, and lint free Kimwipes. It only takes a little bit at a time. It is time consuming though. I spent a few weeks on the cap. Too long really - but until I got the kimwipes I was constantly sanding it down (with soft micromesh) to get lint out of it. Shouldn't take that long if you do it right from the get go. :)

Im going to, ive been talking about it for a good year and half but have just had so much on my plate that i didnt want to pile more on and bury the mash potatoes at the bottom:biggrin:

glycerine

Do you mean Chriselle?

watch_art

Do you mean Chriselle?

:biggrin:
Uhm - yes. He's a Leadbetter, so I got the first name mixed up with another one that I know.

Top Bottom