A couple more clipless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from drgoretex

drgoretex

Here's a couple more clipless pens that came out of the shop this week. The first is of cocobolo, the second ebony. Both finished with CA.

Thanks for looking

Ken

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3197.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3203.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

David Keller

Nicely done on both counts, but that ebony pen is fantastic... Probably the best finish I've ever seen on a piece of ebony.

PenPal

G day Ken,

I join the group that says that is the most beautifully finished Ebony ever for mine as well. Love the Cocobolo it is superb. Clipless etc all combined to two outstanding pens and pictures. Feeling bold to say so but a suggestion with that busy background try pics with a plain one those pens deserve front of house billing.

Masterpieces in Tandem, congratulations.

Regards Peter.

ToddMR

Very nicely done! I like the points you made on the cap and on the end. I think it adds to the over all look. Both have nice finishes too. Well done!

drgoretex

Thank you for all the kind words, encouragement much appreciated!

Hey There,

Really nice pens, I like the concept, What type of Mandrel did you use.

HazzaB

No mandrel. Just a jam chuck out of a piece of scrap wood glued onto a piece of 3/8 roundstock.

Nice job on both pens. It looks like it's time to learn how to do "hidden" clips so you'll have some really nice pens. :)

Absolutely. Been trying to work out some kind of system, as I can't find much on how to do one.

Those are both really excellent! If you don't mind me asking, what are you doing for the cap threads?

Heh...shamelessly cheating. I have been using the section and thread insert from an El Toro FP kit. Have done similar things with Baron kits, and the El Grandes are up next. The plan is to go kitless eventually, but need to learn more - tap and die use, turning my own section etc....

Cheers

Ken

wb7whi

Hidden clip pens can be a bit tricky and tedious but quite doable.
Go to Russ Fairfield's web site and purchase the 4th video, something about collectors pens and that will show all.

This is one of my attempts

Attachments

• Collecters PenS.JPG
    Collecters PenS.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 108

drgoretex

Hidden clip pens can be a bit tricky and tedious but quite doable.
Go to Russ Fairfield's web site and purchase the 4th video, something about collectors pens and that will show all.

This is one of my attempts

Nice! Fashioned out of a Baron, it looks like. Gorgeous pen, beautiful job on the clip!. I will have to check that out, thanks for the tip.

Ken

drgoretex

Fantastic pens. Can you talk a little about how you hid the cap components? Great photos.

No problem. Only hidden component is the thread insert, which is from an El Toro pen kit.

Ken

How do you prevent the thread insert from being accidentally pushed in too far? Is it epoxied in place?

Ya. I thread the insert onto the threads of the section (without the nib in place), smear a trace of epoxy into the cap, and slide the thread insert in to where I want it, while lining up the grain/figure where I want.

Ken

Top Bottom