Couple of more Atlas Pens... also first PVC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Here are a couple of Atlas pens... one of which is my first PVC pen... man that stuff really wraps around the mandrel and is a PITA to keep taking off.. but it does finish nice...
200519183554_NewAtlasPens.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodpens

Very elegant pens, Tom. I don't know about the burl. It looks like your flash wasn't used, so the color is a little hard to tell. The heartwood/sapwood combination reminds me of Amboyna Burl, but it is difficult to be sure.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Dale that is sapwood/heartwood.. there was just enough sapwood to make a nice stripe down the front.. and since the blank was 6" long I have enough for another one just like it...

PenWorks

Great looking pens Tom. Buckeye burl is always a favorite and I love it, when you get the sapwood that way with the blackwood. I have had only two pens come out that way. Great look to it. Still not sold on PVC, probably, because it is PVC, but it looks good.

Anthony

jkirkb94

Really nice looking pens! I see that you now have gotten to experience the strings of PVC![:D] Turn a little, remove the strings, turn a little, remove the strings. Kirk[8D]

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Kirk, you got that right... with a skew those ribbons just seem to be everywhere...and it really mounds up on the headstock side... I would take a cut or two, stop the lathe and pinch it off... Also found that drilling this stuff can be real fun witht he peelings that lock to the bit... if you don't take them off right away you get a funnel shape at the top of the blank, thank goodness I had planned to do the two color... or I would have really been ticked off... LOL
BTW.. my 6 yr old has claimed the PVC pen... "Daddy, this will be just perfect for Halloween..", LOL... She is my biggest fan and worst critic... but I love the fact she wants to spend time in the shop with me... she is getting pretty good with the sanding I allow her to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom