Couple Mesas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from D.Oliver

D.Oliver

I swore after seeing Roberts "Big Red My Way" pen yesterday that I was putting all my pen turning stuff on Ebay and finding a new hobby. Forturnately I have short memory. Here's a couple mesas. The first is cottonwood crotchwood. I've made a couple other pens from this particular peice of wood and this is the last piece. Only big enough to make this style of pen.
Picture 077.jpg
Picture 092.jpg
Picture 093.jpg

The second is African Blackwood / Oak combo. I'm not sure the plating choice was the best choice for this blank. It looked a lot better in my head. The one think I really like on this blank is the brown swirl between the two oak dots. I screwed up and flipped one of the blackwood peices when I glued it up, so one side of the pen it swirls up and on the other side it swirls down. It looks cool; kind of like a yin and yang type of thing. Lucked out I guess, but sometimes its better to be lucky than good.
Picture 089.jpg
Picture 090.jpg
Picture 091.jpg

Comments, Critiques, Criticism all welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Big show off!!:biggrin: I really like both of these Derek. But that pocket knife looking one is my favorite. You're really good with plugging those holes. Gotta try that soon.:wink:

D.Oliver

Big show off!!:biggrin: I really like both of these Derek. But that pocket knife looking one is my favorite. You're really good with plugging those holes. Gotta try that soon.:wink:

You know my inspiration for this was a rafter splice in an old barn where they had two 5 or 6 foot boards on either side of the splice and then they had drove two rows of 6 wooden pegs through ( 6 on one side of the splice and six on the other side of the splice ). I was facinated with the joinery and how there wasn't any hardware used and the fact that it still standing today. But now that you mention it, it does look like a pocket knife.

ironman123

Those are really nice Derek. I like the wood in the top one.

The "inspirational" pen turned out mighty fine also.

Agree, that Big Red is.......RED

Ray

Old Lar

Two very nice pens, Derek. I am partial to cottonwood and use a lot of it. The other is a great segment. You do really nice work!

Robert111

Nice pens, Derek. Great job on the blackwood/oak blank. The creamy, swirly cottonwood burl is beautiful, too.

I really like the shape, the subtle increase in diameter from nose to clip. I think this shape is much nicer than a straight body and creates highlights you don't get in a straight blank.

Finally, the black ti and gold hardware is a definite plus for me.

Top Bottom