A couple from me

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CrazyBear

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyBear

Hi these perhaps are not my 'best' work but at least I am still around to do them:):). The photose ar not great either :D

The first top pen is a simple laburnum slimline. The black area at the top is actually a knot in the wood
1193737421.JPG

The next is a purplheart and ash sliline with an attempt at my first celtic knot
1193737454.JPG

The third photo is to illustrate that carefull photography can hide a lot of sins:D:D:D
1193737505.JPG

As you can see the Celtic knot turned into a cats cradle and a chunk of the Ash veneer on the bottom hoop blew out.

Ah well better luck next time. I must get a better bandsaw:D:D:D:D

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Hugh thanks for sharing your work with us, but if I could make a constructive comment it would be: Forget trying to do Celtic knots and other fancy stuff until you have managed to get the profile of each pen right!

A nicely shaped pen that has a perfectly smooth wood to metal component transition, and a lovely, shine on the barrels should be your main aim at this time!

CrazyBear

I agree with you mark.These were the result of my first visit to the lathe in since August.

The Laburnum top has a slight belly in it and the bottom is too thick where it meets the metal.But surprisingly it feels a nice weight and shape in my hand. Just that little lip is annoying

The finish is CA but I am not a fan of the high shine feels like plastic finish. I prefer more of a feel for the wood finish.

The purpleheart is almost there but I took it too thin at the centreband. I may have to make a centreband that fits that one.

Constructive critisism should always be welcome. Its no good looking at pens on here and say that they are wonderfull when you are actually thinking that they are crap.

I DO appreciate your comments.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by CrazyBear
<br />I agree with you mark.These were the result of my first visit to the lathe in since August.

The Laburnum top has a slight belly in it and the bottom is too thick where it meets the metal.But surprisingly it feels a nice weight and shape in my hand. Just that little lip is annoying

The finish is CA but I am not a fan of the high shine feels like plastic finish. I prefer more of a feel for the wood finish.

The purpleheart is almost there but I took it too thin at the centreband. I may have to make a centreband that fits that one.

Constructive critisism should always be welcome. Its no good looking at pens on here and say that they are wonderfull when you are actually thinking that they are crap.

I DO appreciate your comments.

First, understand that your pens aren't crap, but like Mark said they can use some work. Second, I'm glad your health is improving.

The quote I highlighted is one of the best 2 sentence tutorials I have ever seen!!!!!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hugh,

I am not one that can say that I have arrived yet. Pen making is like juggling to me. Turning, sanding, trimming barrels SQUARE, drilling holes right by knowing and setting up the drill press (for designs and inlays the lathe is best overall) cleaning out the tubes from ALL excess glue, and finishing, enough or not enough CA, did all the steps, white spot here or there, why, flat (non shiny) spot there, bad CA or bad applicator (me).

Any one of these things out of kilter can cause problems. You did well to try a celtic knot and I am sure you will learn from it. I learned as much from my mistakes as I learned from people here. Both are great teachers. After a few successful pens early on before I knew what I was doing, I had a year of pen making in which one thing or another was inconsistent. It was mostly CA application problems, feel, pressure, sanding through, temp, humidity, timing, etc. The CA finish took me 1 1/2 years to become consistent and predictable as to the outcome even before hand.

Keep trying and focus on a few things at a time while looking a broader range of work that will become your goal and drive you to perfection.

CrazyBear

Thanks for those comments william. I suppose the question would be ..Why did I post these pens?

Funily enough I realy do like the Laburnum one for all its faults. It was the first attempt back on the lathe and the picture doesnt realy do it justice. It realy feels nice in my hand so that is my keeper.

I suppose the Purpleheart illustrates that designs like the Celtic knot are not as easy as they look when you view the tutorial.Also, in the usual Scotish manner of poking fun at yourself, to show that carefull photography can hide all manner of sins[:D][:D]

I suppose it also gives a baseline of what my pens were like when I started on this forum and Hopefull those that I post in the future will be a vast improvement

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hugh,

I should have given you a more direct answer for something that I saw in you Celtic Knot: one of the problems is - that it was not centered well, which was the result of the your drill alignment procedure. Not meant to be critical but only help in knowing what to look for.

louisbry

Hugh,

Make more pens and post them. Its hard to come to any conclusion on a limited sample. I agree that perfecting the basics is foremost but on the other hand you are to be commended on trying the knots, an uneasy task. Don't be discouraged. An untrained eye would not be so critical.

CrazyBear

Originally posted by leehljp
<br />Hugh,

I should have given you a more direct answer for something that I saw in you Celtic Knot: one of the problems is - that it was not centered well, which was the result of the your drill alignment procedure. Not meant to be critical but only help in knowing what to look for.

Something that also doesnt help is using a cheap and chearfull bandsaw that doesnt cut straight lines too well. I only used it because the kerf is exactly the thickness of the ash veneer.

I will try another method if I try this one in future. Some good did come out of the experiment though. A actualy like the way the bands themselves showed up. if I perfect the alignment of the bands in future then it should work out realy well.

Part of my pleasure in making pens ( as I dont sell them) is looking at different tecniques and seeing how they work. Its ALL a learning excercise realy..

Anyway I suppose I can always get a new set of tubes and make another pen[:D][:D][:D][:D]

I thank you all sincerely for taking the time to comment and hope to show you more 'improved' pens in future.

Ligget

Hugh keep posting photos of your work, that way everyone will see you improving and you will get motivated by comments that follow! [^]

Glad you are finding turning time again! [;)]

CrazyBear

Originally posted by ligget
<br />Hugh keep posting photos of your work, that way everyone will see you improving and you will get motivated by comments that follow! [^]

Glad you are finding turning time again! [;)]

You might regret saying that mark.. LLLooooooooooottttts of blanks and kits arrived today. at this moment I am trying a mesquite blank from stevers [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hugh,

As one who sells a LOT of pens, let me say there is a certain advantage to NOT selling. As you perfect your pen-making, TIME is not an issue. So, yes, make celtic knots!!! Adapt "hand-made" centerbands to the kits. Do CREATIVE tnings, as you have started to do here.

When you don't need to "knock out a hundred for the next show", you can "fine-tune" each pen. AND you don't use as many kits, which keeps your overhead down!!![:D][:D][:D][:D]

The final cut on the nib end should be done with a scraper or skew or the "flat" of any other tool. You should be EVEN WITH the bushing (the CORRECT bushing-just in case!). Using the point of a gouge can be VERY intimidating, since, if it slips, you have OVERCUT the end.

Since I was not WATCHING you turn this, I am SPECULATING completely, but I hope it will help your routine develop.

Keep on turning and remember: THIS IS FUN - ENJOY IT!!![:D][:D][:D]

CrazyBear

Thanks for that ed. I normally use an old plane blade that I had ground to a scraper profile to try and keep things flat and level. I didnt use it here for some reason. So you live and learn

Thanks to all for the comments and advice. it is appreciated that you take the time to post on these threads. Thats the only way ANY of us get better.

Gotta go now the lathe is calling[:D][:D][:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom