Couple from last night.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

Big thanks to Doc for the wood in the slimline. Got a bunch from him at Bubbasville, pretty much doubled my current supply of blanks. No idea what the wood is, I used a band of some left over Boxelder.

The boxelder came off a blank that killed itself while putting in the tube. It's waiting on an acetone bath. Oddly enough, I started with a cocobolo band, but it blew up on the pen mill, I was POed. Come to find out, the Boxelder was a much better choice, so I guess sometimes bad things are a good thing.

The bullet is another for a guy here at work. It's a little plain Jane. Thought I liked it till I saw it on the nickel plated shell. Just too bland, would look better on a copper shell.

**IMPORTANT TIP**

I hate sanding lines. HATE THEM. I made this pen in my shop (poorly lit), brought it inside, looked great, didnt see any lines. Brought it to work, now the lines are popping out at me. Having proper lighting when making a pen is more important than I previously thought. My sanding lines came from sanding the CA layers. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there, will have to practice a little more.

band2.jpg

bullet5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GBusardo

I agree, the Boxelder is a perfect compliment to the bloodwood <?> . Thats my guess on the wood. Bloodwood is one of my favorite woods, it turns so easy too. The bullet pen looks sharp too! As for the sanding lines, I am having the same problem. More light and more practice I guess. [:(]

Skye

Thanks guys.

I think the sanding problem came from my inital sanding after my first layer of thick CA. I applied a second layer with a few sanding lines remaining. Sort of locked them into place I think.

I'm going to try bringing each layer all the way to 12000 before adding the next layer of CA. Just a test for the next pen. I know Fangar has some unreal looking pens and he does what I thought I did, but his look like glass and mine looked more like glass, minus the "gl". [:0]

alamocdc

Nice looking pens, Skye. I like the BE with the Bloodwood; great match. Re: Sanding lines -- I've added a task light to my lathe so that it shines brightly over the mandrel for just this reason. No problems since. Email me if you're interested and I'll send you a photo of the setup.

Skye

Sweet, I may have to do that. I probably need to really wire the shop before I blow something out though. Right now I have my lights and lathe running off a dropcord running across the yard. [8]

JimGo

I like the first one; the BE CB looks almost like MOP (mother of pearl). Good lighting is a BIG help for getting rid of sanding rings - good luck gettin the necesary power! BTW, do you do BLO+CA, or just CA?

TBone

My first thought was the CB looked like pearl also. I like it a lot. Good job on the pens. Amazing how things you didn't think were there suddenly appear in better lighting isn't it?

Skye

Amazing yes, but not in a good way, lol

It's just CA. I'd like to try BLO sometime soon. Saw that on a vid too, looks nice.

bonefish

Skye:

They both look good. I like the Box Elder Band.

I also like the nickle cartridge pen, but I think it would look better if the fittings were all chrome.

I have some chrome kits and when I find some chrome cartridges, I want to try one.

Robert

Skye

Yeah, I was wondering what it would look like with :

[[ copper nib - nickel shell - chrome clip - chrome finial ]]

Also, those nickel shells are hard to hold on to, very slick. I think a powdercoat in clear may make them easier to write with, but as they are, they're almost too slick.

JimGo

Skye, for me, BLO is a necessary part of my CA finish. I find that if I use it as part of my finishing plan, I can MM to 12000, add 2-3 coats of CA as my finish, then MM again and get a great shine.

Draken

Originally posted by Skye
<br />
**IMPORTANT TIP**

I hate sanding lines. HATE THEM. I made this pen in my shop (poorly lit), brought it inside, looked great, didnt see any lines. Brought it to work, now the lines are popping out at me. Having proper lighting when making a pen is more important than I previously thought. My sanding lines came from sanding the CA layers. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there, will have to practice a little more.

Yep, poor lighting is how most of mine get past me when I'm in the shop as well. I'm working on correcting that by the way. But I must say, those are some fine looking pens there.

Cheers,
Draken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom