Couple of kitless pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jj9ball

jj9ball

Here are a few pens I just finished. I'd love to hear what everyone thinks. They all have medium JOWO nibs and Schmidt k6 converters in them. I used 13mm triple start threads on them... so they only turn 1 1/2 times to attach. You guys have no idea what a victory that is for me. The pen in my pocket turns 8 1/2 times to connect cap to body... my wife can tell me about her entire day in the time it takes me to get my pen apart. Ridiculous!

Attachments

• IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_2726.jpg
    IMG_2726.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_2728.jpg
    IMG_2728.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_2729.jpg
    IMG_2729.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_2731.jpg
    IMG_2731.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 220
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very impressive !! Not sure which one I like best, but I'm leaning towards the Blue one.

Might I ask what kind of blanks those are? Your threads look impeccable.

Bill

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Nice work Jeff. You can get those threads reduced to allow capping the pen with just a half turn. :wink: Triple starts are nice and, that is their main purpose.

Kaurikid

Threads!

Hi Jeff,

I'm new to pen turning and my last pen forum was a Kauri pen with inlay. When I designed it the idea was to have the inlay line up. Sadly it was my time to learn something about pen threads that I didn't know and that is sometimes it doesn't line up!

Is there a way to line up every time as I can only think I must somehow cut my own thread or can I buy a special replacement centre band for the kits I need a line-up on?

The complaint you chaps seem to have is the amount of turns you have to make so if it was a 1 entry thread is the answer not less thread less turns?

I hope you understand what I'm driving at here?

Thanks for any help....

Regards

Steve

jj9ball

Actually the solution is much simpler. Take the bottom piece of the cap and screw it on the body (before you put the cap together). Then take your finished tubed pen cap and line up the grain/pattern. Once you get it where you want it push it over the cap bottom with hand pressure. You only need enough to get it started so it won't move as you remove it from the pen body and push it the rest of the way in by your normal means of assembling a pen. You don't need special threads or any tricks just line the threads up before you assemble the cap and then assemble the cap in relation to the body. If you are doing kitless it is way harder. Then you need to test fit and "kill" threads back to your correct alignment. If you want tips on doing this just let me know. I hope this helps.
Take care,
Jeff.

OZturner

Glorious Array of Kitless Pens, Jeff.
Eye Catching Blanks, Great Lines, Proportions and Profiles.
Beautiful Threading, Fit and Finish.
Great Craftsmanship.
Brian.

Top Bottom