• Caps on pens laying on wood

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Uncapped laying on caps

Votes: 13 25.0%
  • Uncapped laying on wood with cap upright

Votes: 35 67.3%

• Total voters

woody350ep

Here are a couple of Jr Gents I made this week. One is Purnama on Black Ti and the other Canary wood on Rhodium. I had never heard of Canary wood but I bought some 1x1x12s from CSUSA when I had another order. This stuff turns like butter. I loved turning it, and I think it has some really nice grain features/colors.

My question is this - Of the different methods of display shown, which would be your favorite setup if you had to choose only one?

So here they are. Both are my CA finish.

100_2183.jpg

Canary

100_2188.jpg

Purnama

100_2191.jpg

100_2194.jpg

100_2196.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I use Canary wood all the time. It's weird stuff. Interesting grain pattern with different color grains and a greenish tint overall. Soft to cut, yet waxy at the same time which you don't expect from a softer wood. Last two pics look best to me.

Jim Smith

I think I'd like a fourth option which is caps off, not laying on caps or wood; sort of what you might see at a desk. I feel that the wood distracts my focal point away from the object which is the pen and when you lay the pen on the cap, it does not show off the cap well at all since it is in the shadow of the pen. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

pianomanpj

I guess if I had to pick one, I'd have to go with cap off standing on end. But with that comes a caveat: It depends on the blank. If it were a Gisi, Eagle, or some other mind-blowing blank, I would want to see it capped. I know what the nib of a Junior Gent looks like, so I'd be more interested in seeing how the whole blank flows together.

Just my two shekel's worth. :)

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I like it without the wood, but understand why using the wood can work, too.
But my preference is just the pen.. and probably with the cap standing and
the pen laying against it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Can we have the wood match the wood used in the pen?

I was surprised that I liked the last ones best, but I would rather see the same wood as the pen, used as the support.

OKLAHOMAN

Of all your pictures cap off and laying on wood, but agree with Ed use the same wood as the pen or no wood and a prop that won't take away from the pen.

chriselle

Jason,

Question.....

Who is your target audience for the pictures? If it's just for us "makers" then maybe just change the wood prop as the others have suggested. But, if it's for the public I might suggest a more natural display setting with the pen's business end facing forward. I think there is something subliminally negative with the nib facing away. JMHO.

papaturner

Beautiful pens....However when it comes to photos (even the position of the pen) I`m so camera challenged I pass on giving any advise or opinions.:biggrin:

fernhills

Hi, i try and arrange the card stock i am using not to show a seem, makes for a lot better pic. If you overlap it on an incline a little more you can make seem disappear when using two different pieces.

woody350ep

Thanks for all the input guys. I had never thought about the wood being distracting to the pens, but this was brought up on another forum as well. I will take this into consideration in the future.

Chris - I was intending the question more from a public standpoint. If I were to put a picture of the pens on a website, which would be best? Something along those lines.

Again, thanks for all the input. I know these photos are not edited for maximum potential or taken at the best angles or with the right light. I wasn't trying any of that right now, but was more wanting to get the opinions of position as this has been something I have been thinking about.

bitshird

I think I'd like a fourth option which is caps off, not laying on caps or wood; sort of what you might see at a desk. I feel that the wood distracts my focal point away from the object which is the pen and when you lay the pen on the cap, it does not show off the cap well at all since it is in the shadow of the pen. Just one man's opinion.

Jim Smith

I concur but the pens do look nice Jason.

jttheclockman

Are you showing the pens for a forum like this or a web site to sell??? I think props take away from the focus of the pen. I also always like to see a pen capped. I think we all know what a pen looks like without a cap. If you insist on the cap off then show 2 photos and maybe make them part of the same photo. One with the cap on and one with the cap standing next to it. When people lay the pen on top of the cap you can not see the cap. If the cap has some nice bling then that will add to the pen blank. Make the pen the focus of the photo not some plain blank of wood or something else holding the pen up.

I am going to start practicing with different colored backgrounds. I like what Curtis does when showing his pens. He has a black background and some sort of black plexiglass underneath it. All the focus is now on the pen. That is my opinion.

sefali

I gotta go with #1, because it's the only one with the cap on. It is a bad angle, though. If there's only going to be one pic, I think it should be with the cap on. Once you buy a pen, the majority of the times you see it, it will be capped. You wanna know what it's goona look like every time you go to pick it up, put it down, see it on your desk, show it off... capped. Just my penny's worth.
Sef

chriselle

Jason,

All the research and marketing strategies have been sussed out by the big guys...Parker, Mont Blanc.....and so on. My philosophy is there's no need to re-invent the wheel....emulate and adjust to your needs what is already proven to work.
OR!! Forget about the wheel altogether and go straight to levitation..:biggrin:

ldb2000

Beautiful pens Jason . I agree with Chris , goto the big guys sites and see what they do , most don't use any props at all or show the pen in a real world situation like a desk top with papers as a background but ALWAYS with the pen as a focal point . I chose #3 but would have liked to see a 4th option with no prop .

Top Bottom