A couple I have been working on.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from campzeke

campzeke

First up is a Chrome and Gunmetal Gatsby dressed in a Curly Maple blank with a few colored pencil pieces glued in. I made this one for the Pen Swap at the FLGAPG this weekend. Second is a Premium Designer dressed in Curly Maple inlaid with East Indian Rosewood veneer.

If anyone can tell me and others how to rotate these photos I am all ears. They show up correctly on my phone and on my computer but not here. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20170224_113138.jpg
    20170224_113138.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 20170224_113209.jpg
    20170224_113209.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 334
  • 20170224_154047.jpg
    20170224_154047.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 308
  • 20170224_154101.jpg
    20170224_154101.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 20170224_154137.jpg
    20170224_154137.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 263
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
They look great! The finish looks exceptional. Both are nice segmenting, which I appreciate the work involved.

bpgoldo

Rick, your vision matches your creative whimsy which is complemented by your skill and craftsmanship. Now THATS a full sentence.

randyrls

If anyone can tell me and others how to rotate these photos I am all ears. They show up correctly on my phone and on my computer but not here. Thanks.

Rick; The issue is that cell phone photos (and some camera photos) are taken and saved in the exact way the cell phone sees them. A small bit of data is saved in the photo EXIF data to say which way the photo should be orientated on display.

Cell phones look at the data in the EXIF area and some (most) recent photo editing programs do too, but some programs ignore the EXIF data, so the photos appear to be rotated or upside down. The windows explorer doesn't look at the EXIF data so will show the photo sideways. The photo gallery here doesn't do this either, so the photos appear to be rotated or upside down.

To fix the photo permanently, Bring the photo up in a photo editing program and orient it properly(rotate), then save the photo.

I will send you a PM as well.

campzeke

It just occurred to me how difficult it must be to sand the colored pencil pen without the color covering the entire blank.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

First of all, Let me thank everyone for your generous comments and encouragement. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

To oldtoolsniper's sanding comment, after I turned the blank to size I gave it 2 heavy coats of thin CA and let it cure for about 15~20 minutes before sanding. At one point I thought I had sanded through the CA so I added another light coat.

I no longer own the pen. It was traded Sunday afternoon at the FLGAPG pen swap. We had a GREAT gathering and I am already looking forward to next year!

oldtoolsniper

It just occurred to me how difficult it must be to sand the colored pencil pen without the color covering the entire blank.

First of all, Let me thank everyone for your generous comments and encouragement. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

To oldtoolsniper's sanding comment, after I turned the blank to size I gave it 2 heavy coats of thin CA and let it cure for about 15~20 minutes before sanding. At one point I thought I had sanded through the CA so I added another light coat.

I no longer own the pen. It was traded Sunday afternoon at the FLGAPG pen swap. We had a GREAT gathering and I am already looking forward to next year!

Thanks for explaining how you did the sanding. I'm going to give one a try.

Loucurr

It was far superior to see and feel this pen. Another trick Rick shared with me at the FLGAPG was how he flooded the inside of the blank with CA prior to inserting the tubes thus preventing the pencil lead from falling out while turning.

Great pens Rick.

Top Bottom