A couple of firsts for me........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

This pen represents a couple of first for me.
This has been edited with a new profile shot.
#1 First time using amboyna burl
This peice is from BB and turned very nicely. It reminds me of cocobolo by how smoothly it turns.
#2 The main body is longer than a traditional Baron but it is not a true closed end form like the curly mahogany pen I just did. I cut my brass tube in half but did it with about a 60 degree angle. I glued one peice in from each end. I did the angle cut to strengthen the unsupported middle section.
#3 The end is a black acrylic plug turned on my scroll chuck and press fit and CA'd into the end. I thought it was a nice compliment to the black finial insert.....and I couldn't find the cutoff peice from the amboyna burl to use.:D

It is a large pen. It fit very well in the hand. It is long enough to do a rollerball or an FP nib with the longer twist-fill converter.

Comments, jokes, ramblings, derogatory remarks and any other banter is welcome and encouraged.

BTW sorry the focus it off a little. But it gives you a great view of the buckeye burl I used as a backdrop.:D
DSC01934.jpg

DSC01937.jpg

New profile shot.
DSC01940.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Very interesting and the black cap makes a nice compliment to the top cap...
Love the wood... I wish I could find more of the gold amboyna burl I just turned...

woodscavenger

I have noticed a couple of burl caps on e-bay. I have wondered about a group purchase because it seems like too much wood (did I say that?) for one person.

JimGo

Very nice! I like the detail work on the ends, especially the closed end of the lower/main barrel. My first "comment" is about the shape of the lower/main barrel. It seems to taper slightly as you move from the nib end out, and I'm not sure I'm a fan of that design; I tend to like softer curves instead of straight lines like that. Also, did you cut off the centerband, or did you leave room at the end of the cap for it to sit in there recessed? Interesting idea either way, and having the black ring up against the wood ties into the rest of the theme.

Now, of course Shane, since my criticisms/comments were of an aesthetic nature, they aren't REALLY worth a whole heck of a lot; what is appealing to one person can look pretty bad to another, so feel free to completely ignore them! Especially since I have yet to try a closed-end pen!

woodscavenger

Jim, the comments are welcome. Let me answer.

I probably need to post a new pic. The pen does taper. It starts larger at both ends and has a straight line taper to the point where they screw together. One of the problems I have stylistically with the Baron is the smaller bottom sometimes give you a very top-heavy appearance. And although some of you may like your companions that way I am not a big fan of that in my pens if it is a closed form. The lack of the post reduces the weight and without the cap the large pen is really not very heavy and feels nicely balanced in the hand.

About the CB. I am not sure I understand the question. On the Baron the "CB" is actually made of several peices which you do/don't have to put in. There is a black plastic section inside the cap that has the threads. This fits into a metal fitting that pressed into the brass tubes and has the gold trim you see below the black ring as and integrated section. I have actually thought of grinding that off on a few pens but that is another story. The black ring is a separate peice as is the usual second gold trim ring you see on most Baron pens. The black and gold rings are optional. In some pens where the wood speaks so loudly I tend to try to minimize the trim sections. A good example of this is my recent curly mahogany pen with custom wood finial. I left of the gold and black trim ring and nearly left off the clip and was close to grinding off the last section of the trim ring. Here is a pic of that pen.

DSC01928.jpg

Sorry for the long winded response.

JimGo

Thanks for the response! I forgot that the Baron's CB is several pieces; I've done a few Jr. Gent's, but only one or two Barons. I thought that perhaps you had cut something akin to a recess/inside tenon (for lack of a better term) into which the first gold band could be slid, thus allowing the black trim to rest against the wood. Your approach is a MUCH simpler one![:D]

Again, fit and finish look great!

------------

Shane, thanks for the updated pic, now the shape of the bottom barrel makes more sense! Neat design!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom