A couple of firsts: Al and Filigree

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Rick1708

Rick1708

Thanks to John G for the advice on getting my first Aluminum pen done. It's a gift for a friend who was just promoted to Director of Public Works for a town near here. I wanted a "tool" theme. It's also my first closed end and custom clip. More practice is needed, but didn't turn out half bad. If I would have been braver, I would have turned it so a nib wasn't needed, but I think it balances the silver clip.

The Filigree is purple heart. I wanted to use something that was more subtle with the business of the filigree. Never turned one of these before, tolerances weren't as tight as I expected so it was pretty easy to turn. CA/BLO finish.

The last is a copper WSII with a Verdigris blank from Exotic Blanks. As always, it is a beautiful blank and so smooth to turn. No chips and polishes great.

Comments/criticism/opinions welcome. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• Al.jpg
    Al.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 239
  • filigree.jpg
    filigree.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 213
  • verigris.jpg
    verigris.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 218
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rangertrek

Several nice looking pens! I've done a few filigree pens, sold all to the ladies and all were wood. I did one in acrylic, still have it, and I thought it would be the fist to sell.

IPD_Mrs

Nice looking pens. I love the look of the filigree but never liked the turning of them. I also agree that they look best on a more subtle wood, nice choice.

Rick1708

A wire drill bit to cut through. 1.25 mm I think.

Through some practice holes in my first try I leaned the trick was to go at a right angle. You can't tell, but the holes are not parallel in the blank. The tips of the clip actually touch inside the pen tube.

I can't speak to the quality yet since they're still really new, but I ordered the bits from here: [FONT=&quot]www.biscotoolsupply.com[/FONT]

wizard

Very nice pens! I'm partial to the Dawn's magical Verdigris PR blanks. You matched it beautifully with the copper components on the Wall Street II.
Nice job on all! Regards, Doc

Top Bottom