I finished up a few pens today.

2007316296_DSCN4070.jpg

Black Locust burl Round Top Euro

200731621028_DSCN4072.jpg

20 degree slice of Shedua Round Top Euro in chrome

200731621134_DSCN4073.jpg

20 degree slice (but can't tell) of Katalox El Grande

and now favorite...
This one I sat on the floor in my shop and picked up scraps and CA'd them together. It turned out pretty sweet!

200731621313_DSCN4093.jpg

Maple burl, Black Locust burl, Katalox, and Shedua Round Top Euro in chrome.

It's kind of funny how sometimes the ones you spend the least effort on or are just messing around with, end up being your best work...

Chris Nilluka

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ron Mc

Chris,
I REALLY like the Katalox pen. If I may ask where did you find that wood type. I like the color and would like to start using it.
And of course the last one is my favorite.[:D] It contains both angle cuts and straight cuts to create a wonderful feel to it. Well done!......Now to go to my scrap pile!

ChrisinOR

Originally posted by Malainse
<br />All look good..... On the Euro's did you flip/flop the tubes ? The top looks longer then the bottom ???

You're the second one who has asked this. With the Rockler Round Top European kit the upper tube is longer than the lower tube. You turn a small tennon on the center band end. The center band is then nested on that tennon. This is not the same kit as a Round Top. The Round Top uses the larger mandrel. This kit uses 7mm tubes and the small mandrel. I have made a couple pens with the tubes switched. It doesn't work very well. You end up having to shove the mechanism way inside the lower tube in order for the tip to come out. (infact I did one yesterday like that) Turning that little tennon on the short tube makes the upper tube really short and looks all out of wack! I've often thought about milling one end extra to compensate for the extra length to make the pen look more proportional, but I've never tried it.

The finish that I use is CA. Sanded up to 12000 in micromesh then polished with 3M foam pad glaze.

Chris Nilluka

ChrisinOR

Originally posted by angboy
<br />What's 3M foam pad glaze? I also love the scrap pen! They all have a great finish on them.
3M foam pad glaze is a final polishing compoud for autobody refinishing. It would be the last step in buffing out a finish. I was in the autobody industry for about 10 yrs. I just happen to have a lot left over. It's actually pretty expensive. $40.00-$50.00 for about a quart.

Chris Nilluka

cozee

Originally posted by ChrisinOR
<br />
Originally posted by angboy
<br />What's 3M foam pad glaze? I also love the scrap pen! They all have a great finish on them.
3M foam pad glaze is a final polishing compoud for autobody refinishing. It would be the last step in buffing out a finish. I was in the autobody industry for about 10 yrs. I just happen to have a lot left over. It's actually pretty expensive. $40.00-$50.00 for about a quart.

Chris Nilluka

Nice pens Chris! Seems we both think out of the box. I wet sand out to 4000 with Abralon then finish with the Perfect It II or III series (which ever I happen to have handy!!) I am getting ready to try finishing with PPG Concept 2002.[:eek:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom