A couple double closed end pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dan Masshardt

Dan Masshardt

Cocobolo and copper flake blanks. Still figuring out the shapes I like.

Attachments

• image-3887694718.jpg
    image-3887694718.jpg
    437.6 KB · Views: 372
  • image-846746334.jpg
    image-846746334.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 254
  • image-59231868.jpg
    image-59231868.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 371
  • image-2156913204.jpg
    image-2156913204.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 277
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Great Pens Dan.
I love the Closed ends, and Hidden Clip attachment.
Of the two, the Shape of the Copper Flake Pen is more appealing to me, the base on the Cocobolo, looks a little too thick. Or is it just the angle of the Photograph, putting the Base more to the foreground?
Excellent Fit and Finish,
Well done.
Brian.

Dan Masshardt

Great Pens Dan. I love the Closed ends, and Hidden Clip attachment. Of the two, the Shape of the Copper Flake Pen is more appealing to me, the base on the Cocobolo, looks a little too thick. Or is it just the angle of the Photograph, putting the Base more to the foreground? Excellent Fit and Finish, Well done. Brian.

The shape could probably use done fine tuning.

That one pic might make it look a little worse than it is.

Here's a couple more.

Attachments

• image-3770955073.jpg
    image-3770955073.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 176
  • image-857182460.jpg
    image-857182460.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 143

IowaTurner

Very nice looking. I like the closed ends, features the wood in a nice look. I don't recognize the pen style, can you share the model name?

BSea

I think both of those are excellent. Especially the hidden clips. About the only thing I'd suggest is to make the barrels a bit longer, and maybe a bit more tapered. (ok, that was 2 things:rolleyes:) But both of those items are matters of opinion, and not anything wrong as far as your work.

If looks can be deceiving, then I'm deceived because those hidden clips are some of the best I've seen. Great job! :good:

Dan Masshardt

I think both of those are excellent. Especially the hidden clips. About the only thing I'd suggest is to make the barrels a bit longer, and maybe a bit more tapered. (ok, that was 2 things:rolleyes:) But both of those items are matters of opinion, and not anything wrong as far as your work. If looks can be deceiving, then I'm deceived because those hidden clips are some of the best I've seen. Great job! :good:

Thanks. I do what to taper them more. For some reason they look really tapered on the closed end mandrel but not as much when you put them together.

I've gotten so used to turning between two bushings. :-/

BSea

I think both of those are excellent. Especially the hidden clips. About the only thing I'd suggest is to make the barrels a bit longer, and maybe a bit more tapered. (ok, that was 2 things:rolleyes:) But both of those items are matters of opinion, and not anything wrong as far as your work. If looks can be deceiving, then I'm deceived because those hidden clips are some of the best I've seen. Great job! :good:

Thanks. I do what to taper them more. For some reason they look really tapered on the closed end mandrel but not as much when you put them together.

I've gotten so used to turning between two bushings. :-/
I think the lack of taper is a common problem when you start doing these pens. I know mine were that way at 1st too. I finally started using my calipers to verify the taper was what I wanted.

southernclay

I like them both but the cocobolo is especially nice. I like that you are trying different clips, I've seen you do that a few times and its a nice touch. The grain alignment on the cocobolo really sets it off and the curve of the Churchill clip matches the curve of the body on the second set of pics you posted.

I agree with Bob that a little more length may help but seriously cool pens as they are. Good work!

Really nice job on both of these pens Dan. Love the fact that you put the clip on them. I like the shape of both of them.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Both are beautiful Dan! The clips are great and I don't find the tapers in any respect needing a tweak. But, we all see our own work and have thoughts for improvements.

GREAT JOB!

MarkD

Both look great Dan.
I kind of like the Cocobolo best but I would have to hold it in my hand to be sure.
I'm not sure about the larger diameter end but it might be kind of cool if the pen would stand on the end, like a desk pen.

Great job!

Top Bottom