A Couple Bolt-Action Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from FourOaksCrafts

Here are a couple of bolt-action pens I recently made. Top one is Mesquite and bottom is Cocobolo. I get a lot of requests for these style pens.

Attachments

• 31500884_1862348460463565_7682047757678280704_n.jpg
    31500884_1862348460463565_7682047757678280704_n.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 283
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Very nice pens and I really like working with Mesquite. But to be very honest, I'm not sold on the bolt action pens yet. I haven't turned any and I haven't had any requests for any yet. If you don't mind me asking, how many of these pen styles have you made and whats an average selling price? The last one I saw in person was selling for $25.00 which I thought was way too low especially considering the store took a 40% cut of the sale. But again, very nice job on your pens.

greenacres2

Nicely turned and finished.
Noticed you don't re-orientate the bolt handles so the bolt action works
like a real right handed bolt action rifle?

Les

Les,
I thought them to be gimmicky, but bought a few kits last fall. Of the 100 pens I've sold, I'd guess15 to be bolt action (around 40 have been Exotic's Thank You pens). Most of mine were at $40-$45, all direct sales. $25 minus 40% would be a loss or break even at best, with nothing for the time. I gift a lot of pens, but when I sell, I don't sell at even or negative. I now enjoy making them since people seem pleased by them...and that has value to me.
Earl

OZturner

Nice Pens Stephen,
Excellent Blanks, Beautifully Fitted and Finished.
Bolt Action are Very Popular Pens in Australia, even taking into account the addition of the Exchange, and Freight costs.
Congratulations,
Brian.

magpens

IMO, they are not at all gimmicky.

Of all the kits that PSI has come out with in the past 10 years the 30 Cal Bolt Action is by far the very best. Some of PSI's variants on this kit are what I would call gimmicky, however ... like the mini version, the magnum version, the 50 Cal version, and the Tec-pen version with its flaky screwed-on clip. . There are also some knock-off versions which are not for sale in the US which are flaky.

The Deer Hunter and Bald Eagle variants are very well done, but I wouldn't give you tuppence for the Steampunk.

Just my unbiased opinions, of course :) . I make a lot of the 30 Cal Bolt Actions and they sell very well for me in the $60 range with a quality acrylic blank ... $75-$80 with a feather cast blank.

Last edited:
Very nice pens and I really like working with Mesquite. But to be very honest, I'm not sold on the bolt action pens yet. I haven't turned any and I haven't had any requests for any yet. If you don't mind me asking, how many of these pen styles have you made and whats an average selling price? The last one I saw in person was selling for $25.00 which I thought was way too low especially considering the store took a 40% cut of the sale. But again, very nice job on your pens.

I have been getting between $45 to 50, but if made out of deer antler I can get more like $55 to $60.

Les

Les ... I've noticed you can do that from the instructions, but I keep it oriented like this since it seems to be easier to operate this way if you are right-handed. Honestly, I don't know if it matters that much. I suppose it would look more correct from a real rifle perspective.

magpens

OK ..... thank you for answering my question.

I am familiar with the Eagle version, but I was not aware of a military style.

gtriever

Actually there are three variations ; Bald Eagle, Salute the Troops, and Lady Liberty. Bolt Action pens have always been popular with my clients. My best seller is a slightly modified pen and pencil set: I replace the stock pencil clip with a Patriotic Clip (like the one on the Bald Eagle series), and pair it with one of the above-mentioned pens in a double insert Rifle Case. Antique Brass, of course, and using Patriotic-theme blanks. My best selling pairs are We the People / 2nd Amendment and Constitution Eagle / We Eagle.

Very nice pens you have there, keep up the good work!

Lots of good info on this thread. Right now I'm working on the PSI Fly Fishing kit as it makes sense where I live and right now our very little town is inundated with fly fisherman. Maybe I'll try a few Bolt Action for this upcoming hunting season and see how they do. Thanks everyone for your info. As a beginner this info is very helpful.

rd_ab_penman

Les

Les ... I've noticed you can do that from the instructions, but I keep it oriented like this since it seems to be easier to operate this way if you are right-handed. Honestly, I don't know if it matters that much. I suppose it would look more correct from a real rifle perspective.

I found years ago that the gun show clientele picked up right away on the backwards bolt handle position.

Les

Lots of good info on this thread. Right now I'm working on the PSI Fly Fishing kit as it makes sense where I live and right now our very little town is inundated with fly fisherman. Maybe I'll try a few Bolt Action for this upcoming hunting season and see how they do. Thanks everyone for your info. As a beginner this info is very helpful.

The Fly Fishing Pen kit is also a great kit. Here's a pic of one I made, using bamboo. I thought about bamboo, since fly rods used to be (maybe still are) made with bamboo. I gave this one to my fishing buddy.

Attachments

• 4bd66d638c6844a407f39ae56406ac6c.jpg
    4bd66d638c6844a407f39ae56406ac6c.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 143
[The Fly Fishing Pen kit is also a great kit. Here's a pic of one I made, using bamboo]

I did make one kit out of Rocky Mountain Maple. Turned out very nice and I'm putting some together as soon as I stabilize more of the maple. Once I figure out how to post pictures on the forums I'll be putting some pictures of my work on it.

Top Bottom