A couple Barons from the weekend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from martyb

Status
Not open for further replies.

martyb

Turned these down this weekend.

White Holly, need to take another photo with less lighting. The shiny White Holly really messes with a camera.

And in Ancient Kauri.

This was fairly soft blank, so I had to continuously strenghten with thin CA as I turned. But very happy with the results.

CA/BLO finish on both. My own modified version of Don Wards instructions. I skip the MM and instead go up to a 4000 abralon pad before switching to the white diamond bar and plastic polish. I've like the results so far, enough that I haven't played with a plexi finish yet. Still want to try it though.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

martyb

VERY white holly. Picked up a few blanks from Mr. B down at Arizona Silhouette. Snow white, not a blue spot, blemish or knot in any of them. I've always received excellent stock and excellent service from Bill.

I can't wait to get into the rest of the kauri I've got. The grain patterns didn't show up on the rough stock even wiping with CA. But as you can see from the photo, its in there and is pretty nice.

Originally posted by NavyDiver
<br />They look really nice. I've got to try the Baron kit.

Eric,

The first one looked like there were 100 parts in there! Once I dry fitted everything I figured out they are really neat kits.

Marty,

Nice pens! That really is some stunning white wood!

martyb

No flash involved in photographs anymore. I built a light ten with 3/4" pvc and a white sheet and use the smalles compact flourescents I can find for lighting. I think part of the problem is the metal clamp lights I've got those bulbs in, they just focus too much light.

It's kind of daunting when you dump out the contents of your first Baron kit. You stare at all the pieces then grab the instructions to see how they're all supposed to go together.

G'Day John! How's the weather down under? I spent 2 months in Sydney at the end of 2002, you're getting into your nice weather while here in the states (Iowa), we're already starting to talk snow!

martyb

Go for it Tom. I've done a lot of trimming and cut down a few trees in my yard that I wish I could have turned into some blanks. But, alas, don't have a bandsaw with the capacity and I'm not that good with the chainsaw.
As a person working in IT, a lot of people are amazed I can even run the chainsaw. [:)]

Ausdan

Both are great looking pens Marty - well done! I can understand that the white holly would be very difficult to photograph but it looks very classy - particularly coupled with that kit.

Dario

Originally posted by martyb
<br />As a person working in IT, a lot of people are amazed I can even run the chainsaw. [:)]

I also work in IT and only 140 pounder but I can use a chainsaw [;)]

Both are stunning pens...good job!!!

martyb

Lets just say I've got a few pounds on you Dario. [:)]
IT to pen turning, well, at least when a blank explodes in my face I don't have some executive standing over me telling me to fix it or I lose my job. [:(!]
But thankfully I'm out of the fixing business in IT!
(no, I'm not management either, Architect is what they call me)

Thanks everyone for their feedback, and the advice from everyone here. I've taken my turning skills up 3 notches in just a couple weeks reading these forums and practicing with that advice. Can't wait to get a few of my next pens up. I just got my shipment of corian and I'm itchin' to get a few started!

johncrane

G'Day Marty the weather here at the minet is fine! but they are tell us where in for a hot summer and alot of bushfires. And our water is running out.AT the start of November we will be on level 4 restrictions that means NO washing your car at all.but other than that where fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom