A couple Amboyna burl pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

I've gotten partial to the closed end pen style using the Jr Gent kit, this being the fourth or fifth pen made. Today I got a chunk of Amboyna burl and couldn't wait to get home and turn a few pens.

I like the look and feel of the closed end pen lower part but when I cap the pen, it just doesn't look right with the cap turned " straight, bushing to bushing".

So what do the pros say, should I turn the cap a little "fatter" to match the pen more?

All constructive opinions welcome.

George

A Jr Gent and an Atlas
200752015720_pair%20of%20amboyna%20burls.jpg

A Jr Gent closed end pen
200752015751_amboyna%20gent%20open.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TheHeretic

I do like. I may have to try that. God knows I have the amboyna and the stuff to do this. Hmmmmmm I guess I need to get back into the shop.

Dean
Columbus OH

Mark549

Dang, George:

That did not take you too long. That's just how I envisioned your closed -end pen from the top slab of that most-excellent chunk-o-burl.

Mark

Texatdurango

Hi Mark,

Yep, as we thought the light color worked out just fine on the lower portion. Had enough wood left to turn the Atlas from the same stick.

Originally posted by Mark549
<br />Dang, George:

That did not take you too long. That's just how I envisioned your closed -end pen from the top slab of that most-excellent chunk-o-burl.

Mark

jtate

Do you 'post' the cap? (meaning, put the cap on the back end of the pen when you write with it) Lots of people do like to post their caps and I wonder how it works when you do a closed end pen like that. Also, would it matter what type of finish you used?

Personally, I would like the cap better if it had some curve to it - a little fatter.

Julia

jeffj13

George,

Nice pen and a beautiful piece of wood. I love how you incorporated the change from heartwood to sap wood. I would agree with you that the cap could have been turned with more of a bow in it.

Just curious, how long is the bottom section? It looks a lot longer than normal. Is that an illustion? If not, will it still carry in a pocket?

jeff

Husky

George,
Beautiful job. I really like the two tone amboyna. I think making the cap a little( just a little) bit more "bulby" might look a little more "matched" to some, but it really looks very good with the contours you have given it. I'd say it falls into the realm of individual prefernece on this.
Great job!

Stan

Texatdurango

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I solved my problem [;)] I just made another pen and turned a slightly bowed cap then switched the caps.

Normally, my taste runs " straight bushing to bushing" but now that I have turned a cap with a bow in it, I like it!

Julia, This type of "Closed end" pen modification does not accomodate putting the cap on the pen while writing. However, this paticular kit has both smooth cap and threaded cap versions. Keeping your question in mind, I selected a threaded cap so you could see what it looked like.

Jeff, The Jr Gent smooth and threaded cap pens are 5" and 5.25" long and my closed end version is 5.7" so it's not quite .5" longer.... and it still fits in the shirt pocket nicely.

Here are the two pens together, showing the new bowed cap.....Note that the photo distorts the lengths a little, making the closer pen appear larger than it is.

George

2007520143454_almost%20twin%20gents.jpg
<br />

Love the solid end and the way you selected the placement of the wood on the solid body. I would have gone with a cap that had some body shape to it...just me, I seldom ever go b2b....I also look at the major diameter of the cap and use that as a guidline for the pen body to have it's major diameter smaller than that...gives it some visual balance. I turn my caps first to get that proportion organized...

Amazing pen though....[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom