A couple of Aluminium pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Here is a couple of aluminium pens i have recently made

Just about to start building my anodising system, so looking forward to creating some coloured variations :)

Attachments

• americana.jpg
    americana.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 442
  • click.jpg
    click.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 393
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Hi John
The gold parts are from the pen kit itself. a knurling tool is used on an engineers lathe to cut diamond or other patterns into metal for either decoration or to aid grip.
knurl3.gif

Most of my machinery is geared up toward metal oppose to wood.

229443_1883086190907_1053908681_32004240_5661864_n.jpg

229335_1883085230883_1053908681_32004237_3238955_n.jpg

BradG

with a strict cleaning regime every time i leave the shop hunter! lol

Indeed Ruby, everyone needs their own room!

and just for a bit of overkill!:
249649_1885239724744_1053908681_32008664_2525974_n.jpg

a 10 Tonne hydraulic press which i use for the heavier jobs, and even to the lighter jobs like assembling pens! (just got to be careful not to pancake the pen ;)

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

Very nicely done. I am with Hunter, how the heck do you keep the art work so clean with a metal lathe sitting directly under it. That is un-real.

So what differs in a metal lathe versus a wood lathe? All of these aluminum pends and the different things that Jeff has made has made me want to be able to turn metal.

Same for the tools! How do metal turning tools differ from wood?

BradG

Very nicely done. I am with Hunter, how the heck do you keep the art work so clean with a metal lathe sitting directly under it. That is un-real.

With a secret perspex splash screen which hides in a cupboard :cool:

Rusty, as you know on a woodlathe you have a tool rest and use various hand tools.

Engineer Lathes have a tool holder which are adjusted by the thou, which moves on a carriage. you will find it alot easier to cut curves etc with a wood lathe for pen turning, but never the less it can be done on a metal lathe. All of the pens on the original post have been done on a metal lathe
300px-HwacheonCentreLathe-carriage-mask_legend.jpg

Wiki article here on metal lathes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lathe_(metal)

Last edited:

BradG

Just taken delivery of my sulphuric acid so i can start anodising! well... as soon as the dye arrives. Very pleased!

Rounder

FIRE!!! FIRE!!! YOUR SHOP IS ON FIRE!!! :eek:
Now that is an orange room. I would have to wear sunglasses in there to work. Very, very nice looking shop though. Can I come over and help you mess it up, LOL?:wink: That just ain't right.

BradG

Rounder, Well it sure as hell stops me falling asleep in there :) and sure you can help me mess it up, you can also help scrub it down afterwards :biggrin:

Already married Minus, although im sure she wishes i would apply the same logic to the rest of the house :cool:

txbatons if it makes you feel any better its not always spotless!

jgrden, a great tool to use.. i have never tried it with a hardwood... that may be a good experiment. have done with softwood... but needless to say it came out a bit mushed

Jeff G

wow those are beauties! I just picked up an old..older than me! craftsman 618 lathe yesterday and i look forward to making some pens like those and a lot of other new things.
mind if i ask ya a question or three in the near future?
I plan on stripping my new machine down and rebuilding it s it will be a lil while before i get down to making a pen on it though..
Peace all
jeff G

achennau

Rockler sells a Robert Sorby micro spiralling tool that you can do that with, with practice. I haven't tried it on aluminum yet but probably will tomorrow now that I see that. It does work real good on wood

djpnevans

Well done mate love your pens and even better love the work shop. I am keen to see how you go with the anodizing I have given it a bit of a go with not much luck.
David

BradG

achennau, I have come across those before. theres also a motorised jig which takes a dremmel i have sen for adding calved details to pens

mrojas, its too easy for me to loose electronic components in a messy workshop so theres my motive for keeping it clean :)

djpnevans, il be sure to post some more with my venture into anodising. also looking at chrome, zinc & copper plating

Top Bottom