Coupla New Ones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ProutyBoy

ProutyBoy

I had some Woodcraft credit and their fountain pen selection was limited so I ended up with a kit I'd never turned before. It's an American Classic Gold Fountain. Feels too light to me, but I prefer some heft to my pens. Like it all the same.

AmericanClassicGoldinCaribbeanBlueA.jpg

Second is just a basic Copper Cigar in a wood called Massaranduba. It's an African wood, but that's all I know. It came in a bulk Ebay box. It has some very beautiful waterfall figure, but it doesn't translate in the picture.

CopperCigarinMassaranduba.jpg

I spent extra time turning these and checking with calipers to get a good fit. Unfortunately, I have some ovaling due to a bent mandrel. It's so slight that it's hard to see, but it's there, and bugs me. Any good ideas on how to straighten it?

Thanks for looking!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jgrden

The mandrel or the wood? I would put the mandrel in the vise and keep squeezing, then turning, squeezing, turning. But then I am probably addressing the wrong question.

Lenny

I have some ovaling due to a bent mandrel. It's so slight that it's hard to see, but it's there, and bugs me. Any good ideas on how to straighten it?

Thanks for looking!

Get yourself a 60 degree dead center for your headstock end to replace the bent mandrel and turn between centers. You can use the stock bushings you have now or get really precise ones from guys like member johnnycnc. You can only do a half a pen at a time but it's worth it.
Use the search feature above and you will find lots of good info on turning between centers.
:)

Top Bottom