This could be....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ed4copies

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The prettiest pen I have ever turned.

Nature made it, I just found it---but WOW!!

Birdseye corrugata burl with the new Triton components---this is Gold "appointments" on a chrome body.

Comments welcome!!

Attachments

• Corrugata triton.jpg
    Corrugata triton.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 452
  • Triton capped corrugburl.jpg
    Triton capped corrugburl.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 329
  • triton back corrburl.jpg
    triton back corrburl.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 299
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow... That is a BEAUTIFUL! piece of wood... Expertly turned, I'm sure but that is really nice!!!

The color and eyes in there are something else.:eek:

phillywood

The prettiest pen I have ever turned.

Nature made it, I just found it---but WOW!!

Birdseye corrugata burl with the new Triton components---this is Gold "appointments" on a chrome body.

Comments welcome!!

Ed, it's the prettiest thing. You should be proud of it. Kit compliments well too. Info. for the chart?

rjwolfe3

Ed, that is an awesome pen. If that is one of the new woods you guys will be selling, I hope you have a lot of it in stock. Save me one for February, lol.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Alex,

I am a "closet wood pen turner". Only come out when one turns out GREAT--like this one did.

Thanks to all for the kudos!!

Skye

Ed... you know I like you... we go way back... so with that am I safe to ask you a question?

Looking at it I see a dark area right at the finial, like either the blank burned when milling the end or possibly a bit of the bushing dust made the hop over to the CA when finishing.

Obviously a stunning pen, but you know me. lol

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, the sky has fallen on that poor pen.

The CA on the barrel section is at least 40% separated from the wood. But the finial end is ok, the dark spot you see is part of the grain up there.

I rushed this pen so we could get pictures. I'll make another, but let the wood rest for a few days after it is turned, before I put the CA finish on it.

May knock this one apart and resand and finish the barrel--don't know yet.

Too bad--it was a pretty pen!!

That doesn't happen with resins!!!!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yikes! Pics of the damage?

How old was the wood before you turned it?

Don't know. One of the joys of buying wood for resale is we don't have a calendar on it.

Tested it for "wet" and it registered 10-12 ---maybe in conjunction with a CA finish the wood needs to be dryer than this??? Now we have tested several pieces and it ranges from 7-12.

Probably the "safe" alternative would be to put it in a 150 oven for an hour or so before I turn??

Opinions???

EXPERT opinions are even BETTER???

toddlajoie

Not being familiar with this particular wood, I would ask if it were an "oily" wood? I've had similar experience with some of the more oily woods. The oil tends to keep the CA from sticking. My suggestion would be to give the blank a quick wipe with DNA, let it air dry for a couple minutes, and then see about getting at least a couple good coats of thin CA on the blank before moving on to any of the Medium or Thick, since the thin will soak in a good bit more...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Good question, but Corrugata is an Australian wood. Very dry and fairly dense. I've worked with several of the Aussie woods, before the CA finish was "discovered" and I was pretty good at "baking" it, then turning pens and using lacquer. Next one, I may go back to that approach.

Sure is pretty wood. Turned like a dream. Shoot!!

Top Bottom