Cottonwood Pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from teslabolt77

teslabolt77

So I have this cottonwood tree in my backyard. A storm took down a large limb a year ago. Decided to saw into it to see if it had spalted, and sure enough, it did. This being my 3rd pen/pencil that I have turned, I didn't think to make certain the spalting traveled deep enough. Got lucky on one half at least. Not what I was hoping for but still turned out okay.

Cut down to 1''x1''x6'' and microwaved 6 times for 30 seconds until weight stabilized. Sanded to 320. CA/BLO finish.

My Cottonwood:
Cottonwood-Pencil_0001.jpg

Cottonwood-Pencil_0004.jpg

Cottonwood-Pencil_0012.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Kind of fun to knock 'em down and make things out of them...ain't it?!?!?!

Looks good for my chair!

Scott (need stabilizing?) B

SteveG

Your pencil looks good with the spalting, and I have seen some heavily spalted cottonwood that will knock your socks off! If you are inclined to do so, you might research methods to encourage spalting, since you have the wood. The result could be some crazy-nice spalted cottonwood. Then, of course, you would have to start taping your socks on:eek::eek::biggrin:

Falcon1220

So I have this cottonwood tree in my backyard. A storm took down a large limb a year ago. Decided to saw into it to see if it had spalted, and sure enough, it did. This being my 3rd pen/pencil that I have turned, I didn't think to make certain the spalting traveled deep enough. Got lucky on one half at least. Not what I was hoping for but still turned out okay.

You took down the whole tree to make just one pen.........:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
You must have a lot of shavings left :wink::wink:

Well done on the pen

Top Bottom