cottonwood bark pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from low_48

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_48

And yet another experiment. Quite tickled with the result. The top of the picture is a piece of cottonwood bark, here's the pen from it. I was looking for burl of course and marvled at the thickness of the bark on this huge old cottonwood laying on the ground. A light bulb came on and the rest is history. It may be a little difficult to see, but there is even a nice cathedral grain and opposite sides. The bark grows in layers just like the wood. Really happy with the color. This stuff is so soft I think you could turn the pen with sandpaper alone. 5 coats of thick CA make up the finish. This might be the miracle material for beginning turners. Nothing turns this easy with no chip out!! Added another scan to show closeup.

20041031164620_cottonwoodbark.jpg

2004103117154_cottonwoodbark1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Pretty pen. I have been thinking, lately, about gluing some wine bottle corks together to make a pen blank, impregnating it (no, I don't mean that), and turning a pen just to see what it looks like.

Dave C

That is a very nice looking pen. I guess I will have to take a walk through the woods and see what I can find. Did you have to do anything else to the bark except using CA glue ie. letting it dry or anything?

low_48

Nope, took it off the log yesterday, turned it today. You don't have to put the CA on until you use it for the finish. This stuff turns like a dream, no need to stabilize, soak, or anything like that. It's very soft when you are done, so I think a hard surface finish is necessary.

Rich

Daniel

That amazing. I woudl never have thought ou would get a look like that from Bark. And they cut down a full grown cotton wood just two blocks from my house last year. it never crossed my mind. It will next time. I know where there are a couple on there last legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom