Cottonwood bark - newbie pencil

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from AuroraWoodworks

I just got a lathe last week and started turning pens. This one is made from cottonwood bark. It's a favorite of carvers because it is soft. It turned very easily, almost too easily. The finish is several coats of CA glue. The scratches are from dragging the glue tip across the blank. This stuff is soft! Live and learn.

Tony

Attachments

• DSCN1545.jpg
    DSCN1545.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 382
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

I just got a lathe last week and started turning pens. This one is made from cottonwood bark. It's a favorite of carvers because it is soft. It turned very easily, almost too easily. The finish is several coats of CA glue. The scratches are from dragging the glue tip across the blank. This stuff is soft! Live and learn.

Tony

Looks good, but next time, don't do that!

lazyguy

Regular run of the mill Cottonwood bark?? I have nearly am unlimited free supply of that. Do you need to stabalise it?

Good looking pen (learn from mistakes and move on)

Yup, regular cottonwood bark. I did not stabilize it. I think next time I am going to try applying some CA to the ends of the blank after inserting the brass tube. My hope is that will keep the ends crisp when I mill them. Oh, and the other thing I'll do next time is NOT TOUCH THE GLUE BOTTLE TO THE TURNING!

maxman400

Great First Step, Save that one so when you reach number 100 you can look back and see how far you have come. You will be amazed :biggrin: at your work and you will be astounded :eek: at what it cost you. LOL.. By the way Welcome to the Madness it only gets worse.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::rolleyes:

Thanks for all the encouragement. I made the matching pen to the set and it looks good enough to sell.

seamus7227

Great Job, you beat me to it. I have about 5 blanks that I have stabilized and are ready to turn, that really turned out better than i thought!

Top Bottom