Cortona Fiery Embers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from qquake

qquake

Here is a new kit from PSI, called the Cortona. This one is chrome and gold, and has a stylus on the finial. The blank is from Exotic Blanks, and is called Fiery Brown Embers. Nice blank. Not too sure about the kit, you'll see why. I thought Cortona was an odd name for a pen kit, so I Googled it. It's a town in Italy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortona

Attachments

• done08.JPG
    done08.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 160
  • done09.JPG
    done09.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 146
  • done10.JPG
    done10.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 188
  • done11.JPG
    done11.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 170
  • done02.JPG
    done02.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 383
  • done05.JPG
    done05.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 187
  • done06.JPG
    done06.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

When I assembled it, there was a bad gap between the body and tip. I thought I may have over trimmed it, so I ground down the end of the refill. There is still a small gap, but not as bad. As you can see by comparing it to a tube from another Cortona kit, I didn't over trim it by that much. I had to grind off more of the refill than the difference between the tube and body. So I'm not sure what's going on. I'll pay more attention to the second kit I make.

Attachments

• gap02.JPG
    gap02.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 206
  • gap04.JPG
    gap04.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 176
  • gap05.JPG
    gap05.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 165
  • gap06.JPG
    gap06.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 174
  • gap07.JPG
    gap07.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 199

qquake

Another thing I noticed is the knurl is kind of "sharp". Catches on material, not very smooth.

Attachments

• done04.JPG
    done04.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 170

mecompco

Haven't tried the Cortona (and don't know that I will). It looks good, but sounds like it has issues. I do appreciate your showing the pen--I have a pre-tubed set of Burnt Embers from Exotics for a Cigar--you're encouraged me to get going on that.

Regards,
Michael

mecompco

That blank would look great on a Cigar pen.

I'll post it when it's done. I obtained a good number of Cigar kits missing tubes, so I ordered a selection of Exotics pre-tubed blanks. A tad pricey, but I love not having to drill and glue. Just square them and right to the lathe.

Regards,
Michael

qquake

I'll post it when it's done. I obtained a good number of Cigar kits missing tubes, so I ordered a selection of Exotics pre-tubed blanks. A tad pricey, but I love not having to drill and glue. Just square them and right to the lathe.

Regards,
Michael

I haven't tried pre-tubed blanks, but they do sound handy.

campzeke

Thanks for the heads up on the Cortona. I saw that it is a new pen for PSI and thought about trying it. I think I would contact PSI about the problems you are having with it and see what they say. It could be just a bad kit or an overall problem. Anytime you have to modify the refill to make a pen look or work correctly you make that pen useless for anyone other than yourself. Just my opinion .....

qquake

Thanks for the heads up on the Cortona. I saw that it is a new pen for PSI and thought about trying it. I think I would contact PSI about the problems you are having with it and see what they say. It could be just a bad kit or an overall problem. Anytime you have to modify the refill to make a pen look or work correctly you make that pen useless for anyone other than yourself. Just my opinion .....

FYI, the problem with this pen was my fault. I trimmed it too far. See my successful Cortona here:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/cortona-alabama-swirl-142144/

TonyL

When I assembled it, there was a bad gap between the body and tip. I thought I may have over trimmed it, so I ground down the end of the refill. There is still a small gap, but not as bad. As you can see by comparing it to a tube from another Cortona kit, I didn't over trim it by that much. I had to grind off more of the refill than the difference between the tube and body. So I'm not sure what's going on. I'll pay more attention to the second kit I make.

This is a long shot, but do you think the brass tube may have slide forward during assembly? As I said, a long shot.

Jim & Tony - I got several of the Cortona's as a trial and I had the same experience as Jim. Seems there are some pen kits out there that are quite touchy when it comes to barrel trimming. Others not so much. I see the Cortona in the first group. But with a "properly" trimmed barrel, it seems the refill will not project from the tip as far as most refills do. I also noticed that the barrel will at times seem too long. Had to grind a bit on the metal sheath that the Cross refill fits in to get the parts to mate up.

I'm hoping this is just something that I need to get used to or is an early production run issue as I really like the finished pen. Not as "beefy" as other pens but not a slimline either plus it has a real good feel in the hand and good balance. I did a couple shows the last 2 Saturdays and sold out of the Cortonas I had made.

carlmorrell

I just made my first Cortona. When I went to assemble I had the same fit issue. I measured my blank, and it was right at the 2.99 (3"). So I put it in a press, and heard a snap, as it pressed correctly into place. I think there must be a clearance (fit) issue.

I've done several more and I'm thinking PART of the issues mentioned MAY be the refill that is supplied with this kit. I noticed the back side of the refill of this Cross-style refill is a press fit plastic part. I can extend the metal refill tube and CA it to resolve the short projection problem when the refill is extended but then the body gap issue that's mentioned above comes up. Grinding the metal housing solves that but how can I sell a pen with those problems? So I tried a true Cross refill and - voila! - issues disappear. Only worked on one pen but I'm sure gonna try more.....
Stay tuned....

Top Bottom