corroded bottlestopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skewzdust

Status
Not open for further replies.

skewzdust

It's not a pen, but I know a lot of you folks are making bottlestoppers too. I made a pair of these purple dyed boxelder bottlestoppers for my wife for xmas. The kits were from the Penn State sale in Dec. She bought a pair of cruets and put olive oil in one and red wine vinegar in the other. Well the one in the red wine vinegar started to corrode within a couple of weeks. Looks like it's chrome plating over brass, and the chrome plating flaked off the brass. I'm guessing the same thing could happen with wine over time. Your results may vary but beware.

20053131384_corroded%20bottlestopper.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Wow, that's a bummer Steve. But the corosion looks pretty cool, nice colors to it. [:D] Did you CA the top on? Because that looks really nice if you can take it off and put it on another. Your finish looks like glass. [:)]

jwoodwright

Steve, if you used CA, put the tip in a vise, tap around the chrome section, this will "fracture" the CA, use something to protect the finish and twist off the beautiful turning. I would use silicone stopper in the future for acid products... Seeing your results...[:I]

skewzdust

Thanks for your comments. Yes I did CA it together and it's part of a matched pair so I don't want to mess it up. I spent a lot of time with the finish so it's disappointing. We're going to leave it as is, can't see the tip when it's in the cruet. More decorative than functional now.

Doghouse

Ok, I have a lot of thoughts but what to say...

Thanks for bringing this to everyones attention.
What made it happen? Could it be due to the extended exposure to a more concentrated acid? How long was it in the bottle? Most of the time my wine is done in 2 days.[:D]

dougle40

That's too bad , it was such a beautiful piece . My guess is that it was definately the acidic acid that caused that problem . I don't think that it would happen in a wine bottle unless it's very old wine and is turning to vinagar too .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom