Corn fed dragon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

This is another PSI Dragon Twist Pen kit in 24K Gold fittings and Tiger's Eye final. I have again added a alcohol dye/ink to the scales, claw, talons, and dragon. The blanks are corn cobs I had the Blue Jays remove the kernels from for me. These I also tinted with the red Alcohol dry/ink and added a blender to soften and even the color. The finish is 8 coats of thick CA in order to fill all depressions, sanded with 240 and 900 grit, than a coat of One-Step Plastic Polish. As you will notice in the front horizontal view, the blank is not level with the ring, yet on the back view, it is. I have put 5 of these pens together so far, and every one has not seated properly. If you try to straighten it, you will snap the threads off. I have used 5 different methods of inserting the center band and all have the same results. Any suggestions ?? I am not pleased with the finished results of this pen, but it is for my display and use, and would never be given away or sold. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCN0819 (417x800).jpg
    DSCN0819 (417x800).jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 339
  • DSCN0820 (800x207).jpg
    DSCN0820 (800x207).jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 228
  • DSCN0821 (800x208).jpg
    DSCN0821 (800x208).jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN0822 (800x628).jpg
    DSCN0822 (800x628).jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 172
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

plano_harry

That's an inspired combo! To bad the pen is deformed. I have not made this kit, but the Victorian is a pretty crappy casting and not at all concentric, so that my be your issue as well. Still looks great! How will you keep the ink from wearing off?

plantman

That's an inspired combo! To bad the pen is deformed. I have not made this kit, but the Victorian is a pretty crappy casting and not at all concentric, so that my be your issue as well. Still looks great! How will you keep the ink from wearing off?

Thanks Harry !! I used a clear fingernail super hardener over the red to keep wear down. First time I have coated over the dye, so not sure if it will help or hinder the finish. Will let members know if this works or not. Jim S

CrimsonKeel

could your bushings be out of round? i know my cigar bushing is out of round and does the same thing but not nearly as bad as yours is.

BSea

Thanks Harry !! I used a clear fingernail super hardener over the red to keep wear down. First time I have coated over the dye, so not sure if it will help or hinder the finish. Will let members know if this works or not. Jim S
The wearing off of the dye was my question too. It will be interesting to see how well it holds up. Regardless, the finish looks really interesting, and adds a lot to the overall appearance.

plantman

could your bushings be out of round? i know my cigar bushing is out of round and does the same thing but not nearly as bad as yours is.

I received new bushings with the pen kits and they seem fine. I am using a mini metal cutting lathe to cut my blanks down, so there is no change in pressure or angle on the cutter, and it cuts a straight line. After turning I use a disk sander and squaring tool to dress the ends flush, flat, and square. I notice when I go to slide the top barrel on, that the inside transmission is always off center and will leave a gap on one side of the pen where it meets the band causing the blanks to not line up in the same plane. If you try to straighten the upper blank with a sideways movement, you will snap the threads off of the lower band assembly. Will get the mic out before I put the last kit together and check all fittings. Jim S

Last edited:
Top Bottom