Corn Cob Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dkrwoodturning

I know these pens have done before and most have been store bought stabilized corn cobs but this one is a bit different. I was demonstrating at the local agricultural show in my home town of Bundaberg, home of the famous Bundaberg Rum. On a break I went for a walk to machinery hill and there was a steam engine display, and I was intrigued watching dried corn cobs being feed into a machine and coming out without corn. I asked the man if I can have some cobs to make pens. He look as though I had been on something and laughed. So off I went and made this pen that night. I gave it to him the next day and he was amazed. He told me how he grew and dried the corn. He was giving it to his wife who collects pens. So now I have 2 large sacks of dried corn cobs. So from farmer to maker and back to farmer. As I said I know corn cob pens have been made for a long time but that is my story of this pen. See what you think, comments and critique are always welcome.

Cheers
Darren

Attachments

• P1010133.JPG
    P1010133.JPG
    161.2 KB · Views: 179
  • P1010129.JPG
    P1010129.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 400
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Thats the way! I got my bag of dried cobs from Wal Mart, sold as wildlife food. Shucked the kernels off and had my fun with 'em. Now if I can figure out what to do with the dried corn.

Bree

Nice work! I like to have a little bit more taper from the center but that is personal preference and not critique. It is well turned, well finished and looks great.
:cool::cool::cool:

ohiococonut

Nice! I make mine from the cobs left over after a meal. I just hang them in my out building and let them dry.

Interesting... for how long?

As hot as it's been here I don't think I left them for more than 3 weeks before I was able to turn them. My out building is just one of those 8x16 buildings you store yard equipment in. We had corn on the cob yesterday so I've got a couple more to dry.

Nice work! I like to have a little bit more taper from the center but that is personal preference and not critique. It is well turned, well finished and looks great.
:cool::cool::cool:

Hey Bree, thanks, I have to admit I prefer B2B turning and the more traditional classic look to the pens I make. If a customer asks for something different then I will fulfill their request the best I can. That's what I love about this, people have their own style and that is what makes it so exciting viewing others work I think :)

wizard

Great looking pen!! I got a stabilized corn cob blank in a Christmas basket last year that I haven't turned yet but..after seeing yours..you just inspired me into turning mine.
Again, great job and thanks for showing. Doc

GColeman

Good looking pen. I like the shape.

I made 12 cob pens for a local farmer for Christmas last year. I just pick the cobs up in the field behind my house and throw them in a box to dry. Recently, a lady showed me a cob pen that she had received for a gift. I gushed over it and she was delighted. When I told her that I had made it she gushed over me.

Top Bottom