Corn Cob Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kevin M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin M

Finally a successful corn cob pen! I tried making a few slimlines but turning to the smaller size just did not come out that good, so a Cigar style seemed a better choice. Yellow marker and Deft spray laquer finish MM'ed at the 3 highest grits.

20055102749_Corn%20Cob%20Cigar.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Very nice Kevin! I had some difficulties with the corncobs I tried this past weekend; can you describe the process you used in more detail? The questions I have include:
* Was this a stabilized blank (I know, dumb question, but I gotta ask!)?
* Did you fill any voids first, before coloring, or did you do that afterward?
* At what point did you apply the color? (i.e., it seems like you did it before the Deft; did you sand before/after the coloring?)

Hmmm...I think that should do it for now! :)

Kevin M

JimGo, here we go.
1. The cob was not stabilized, came right out of the squirrel feeder.
2. I only had a couple of small voids and filled them with shaving laying on the lathe with a drop or two of ca prior to sanding and coloring.
3. The blanks were sanded with 320 only and the yellow marker was applied. No sanding after the color but I let the blanks dry for 2 hours before proceeding.
4. I put on 6 coats of Deft spray lacquer over a period of approx. 4 hours. The blanks were left to cure for 24 hours and put back on the lathe for MM'ing with the 3 finest grits only and then topped with Ren wax. This left a very slight texture of the kernel and the finish was clear and glossy just like I wanted. This was my first pen with the Deft finish and it came out very good but I will have to wait and see how well it holds up to daily use. Hope this helps.

woodguy1975

That is only with Sharpie markers the yellow turns read. I've found that the artist markers (Prismacolor)don't change colors under CA. I've tried all 24 of them. None of them change. With the Sharpie the yellow turns red, grean turns yellow, and dark green, turns brown. Get the Prismacolor markers off Ebay. The work great.

BTW, that lacquer will turn black with use. I used to use a very high quality lacquer for Behlen and it would turn black after a month of using the pen regularly. It is a reaction to the oils in your hand. They look great intially, but will turn. If you want to use lacquer an automotive lacquer might do the trick.

Very nice looking corn cob pen. I can't wait to turn some of my blanks. They are on the list.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom