Cork pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mossy

Mossy

I posted this on Jgrtens thread I'd welcome constructive coments. As i'm fairly new to pen turning I thought I would give it a try. It's a gents pen in yew with the cork from my wife's favorite wine. I think I should have taken more from the inside to reduce the outside diameter.

Attachments

• roc1.jpg
    roc1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 374
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
That is a very interesting pen. I have never thought of trying that. It is fun to try new and different things while turning. I like that you put the wood at each end of the cork. Nice work that is for sure.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
The Yew compliments the cork nicely. I think the finish is beautiful, too. And like Mike said, its a nice touch with a bit of Yew on each side of the cork.

Have you experimented to see how far you can turn down the cork before the lettering disappears? I don't know anything about whether its burned in or stamped on . . . Since the cap isn't posted on the end to write and she's happy with it, I think it's really cool. I never would have thought of it!

Jgrden

I posted this on Jgrtens thread I'd welcome constructive coments. As i'm fairly new to pen turning I thought I would give it a try. It's a gents pen in yew with the cork from my wife's favorite wine. I think I should have taken more from the inside to reduce the outside diameter.

Beautiful work. You are right. You need to drill out the center, slice a portion and then glue it to the tube. Wonderful finish. Send cork my way. :wink:

Jgrden

The Yew compliments the cork nicely. I think the finish is beautiful, too. And like Mike said, its a nice touch with a bit of Yew on each side of the cork.

Have you experimented to see how far you can turn down the cork before the lettering disappears? I don't know anything about whether its burned in or stamped on . . . Since the cap isn't posted on the end to write and she's happy with it, I think it's really cool. I never would have thought of it!

heh, heh, cannot do it your way. :eek: By the way, I tried to clean dirt off a Galleano wine cork and completely wiped off their logo. :mad:

gbpens

If making the cork slimmer is the objective how about:
drilling an over-sized hole
cutting the cork in half top to bottom
cutting kerfs in the inside of the hole to allow it to bend more easily
then gluing it to the tube
This should result in a narrower cork. Turning or sanding it down would remove the lettering/logo.

Jgrden

If making the cork slimmer is the objective how about:
drilling an over-sized hole
cutting the cork in half top to bottom
cutting kerfs in the inside of the hole to allow it to bend more easily
then gluing it to the tube
This should result in a narrower cork. Turning or sanding it down would remove the lettering/logo.

Not bad. There are two other ideas that would make your procedure perfect. :wink:

Mossy

Hi guys , thanks for the comments . This pen was finished with about 12 coats of C.a.

Top Bottom