Cork Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MrWright

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kevrob

Nice. I, too, am curious to know your process if you would care to share? I tried to drill a cork a while back and it disintegrated in the drill press before I could even mount it on the lathe.

Soup

I have turned a lot of cork for making fishing rod handles. I always us an aggressive emory cloth or sandpaper, and a sanding block to shape the piece, and progressively go to finer grits to get my desired result. It creates a lot of dust so be careful.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Cork Blank preparation

Cork pen made from 2 corks from local winery. Design was done with Magic Marker.

Several people have ask about the cork process. Before I started any drilling or cutting I glued two corks together, large end to large end. I then gave them many coats of super thin CA both ends and sides. Drilled the glued blank very slow. Knew I would be getting some blow-out on both ends so the blanks were longer than needed. Glued the tubes in and THEN cut them to size on band saw. Sharpened my SKEW very good and cut to size. The rest of application was standard. BEFORE I used the magic marker, I gave the cork blank another coating of CA as I found the ink runs a little.

Alejanders

Cork pen will look much better, if you will use more contrast cork (for example, from cork sanding block).

Also, there is too big step between cork and centerband.

And I don't like marker lines and spindle shape - but is is only my opinion.

MrWright

Passed Away Oct 12, 2022
In Memoriam
Cork pen will look much better, if you will use more contrast cork (for example, from cork sanding block).

Also, there is too big step between cork and centerband.

And I don't like marker lines and spindle shape - but is is only my opinion.

I understand, I don't like the shape either, BUT was worried if the blank got too thin it would crack more. I wanted to use wine corks from the BV Coastal wines as that is what we were drinking at the time. All of their wine corks are the same. I wanted to retain their label bit it came off the first pass of the skew. Cork is plain that is why I used the magic marker. Anyway it was fun making and that is the game. Thanks for looking and your comments.

Jgrden

Nice. I, too, am curious to know your process if you would care to share? I tried to drill a cork a while back and it disintegrated in the drill press before I could even mount it on the lathe.
i can help you with that. I have made several wine cork pens.

Jgrden

Mr.Wright. You are on to something GREAT. Do not disturb the logos. Drill out the center and then size them to fit the tube.

John,

What is your process....how do you manage to drill and turn the cork?

It can be done just like any other blank, just take your time and make sure your tools are sharp. Turned/sanded just enough to get the parts to line up and finished with thin CA. These are on Gents with purple heart and oak from a wine barrel.

Brian

Attachments

• concept pen Wine and Cork Gentleman's (Medium).jpg
    concept pen Wine and Cork Gentleman's (Medium).jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_2327 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2327 (Medium).JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 116
Top Bottom