Corian creations...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYoSpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoYoSpin

A buddy of mine sent me some 5/8" thick Corian cutoffs the other day...I like this stuff too; not as well as the poly-resin, but it's still pretty cool (thanks Randy!).

Corian Cigar with fine purple glitter/thin CA embellishments:
pen130a.jpg

Beaded Baron with fine gold glitter/thin CA embellishments:
Baron8a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice Ed, a little to glittery for me.. but that color of the corian is really sharp.
I have some pieces a friend dropped off. Been laying around the shop. The material looks real hard. How was it to turn. Thanks for the lead on the indexer, mine is in the mail, can't wait.

MDWine

Has anyone used the 'corian' like material called "Gibralter" (sp?) ??

A cabinet maker friend gave me some. It is only 1/2", and feels very hard and brittle. I certainly do not have the skill just yet to try to turn it.

YoYoSpin

Corian turns easy and doesn't catch or have dig-ins like acrylic. However, it is very hard, similar to aluminum, and dulls tools very quickly. On the Cigar pictured above, I had to stop and re-sharpen my scraper 3 times. Also, drill-out the blanks slowly (keep it cool) to avoid exit blowouts and small cracks.

woodguy1975

Scrapers do do well on corian. I find using the wings of a roughing gouge almost as good. Corian is hard, but gotta love the polish and assmeble routine without worrying about putting on a finish. I've been kicking around the idea of a segmented pen made from Corian. Might be cool.

Good Luck,

John

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Ed,

Thanks for the clarification. When I saw that pen on the home page (random pics), I thought it was antler. Glad you put "sparklies" on corian-there's always more where that came from. Nice Job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom