Corian, Can & Chrome Slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Marnat3

Marnat3

Wanted to try a lengthwise segment and thought I would make it hard on myself by making it a slimline. Used sandstone Corian and aluminum can the long way.
Blank came apart twice during drilling.
Had to stop turning it alot , because it kept getting too hot.
I hate turning Corian (so dusty) but it finishes out really well.
Pretty happy with the result. Sorry for the phone picture, my son has the good camera. Thanks for looking.
C&C welcome.

Attachments

• 20150502_203916.jpg
    20150502_203916.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 296
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Marnat3

Med CA was used. Then clamped for a couple days. I think the drilling down the aluminum just heated it up too much. But it came apart at the seam so reglue was easy. It got pretty warm turning too.

Last edited:

magpens

Interesting, and well done !! ... Your drilling was right on ... highly accurate !

Marnat3

It was a tough job getting it to a true square blank. Actually have 2 thin (really thin) trimmings from the bandsaw. Drilled on the lathe because the chuck helped hold it together.

OZturner

Great Result Mark,
Nicely Centered Insert.
What you tried has to be one of the most difficult tasks, namely, to make and drill a blank with a Centered Insert.
For what it is worth, I would have glued a thin piece of timber to each of the sides of the Corian, that were cut to accommodate the Aluminium Can Insert, to act as a reinforcement, and hold the sections together to resist the force from the drill.
Also I probably would have taped the Blank with Duct Tape, as well.
But then again, I am the type of guy who wears Suspenders as well as a Belt.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Drilling is always tough with segmented blanks. Make sure the drill is really sharp and go slow. I lost count of how many blowups I have had on segmented blanks. It is always fun to segment though. Nice job.

Marnat3

Thanks, everyone. It was a challenge to myself to figure it out step by step.
I am pretty pleased with it.
And yes stonepecker ,I will figure out a Corian demo for a future meeting. Just not this kind of segmenting.

Top Bottom