Copperhead snakeskins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from seamus7227

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

snyiper

Well each area has its own laws here is one I found

ENDANGERED. It is illegal to kill or collect this species by law in Iowa. Although copperheads may be quite common in other parts of their range, they are at the northern limits of their range here and are one of Iowa's rarest snakes.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well each area has its own laws here is one I found

ENDANGERED. It is illegal to kill or collect this species by law in Iowa. Although copperheads may be quite common in other parts of their range, they are at the northern limits of their range here and are one of Iowa's rarest snakes.

Glenn,

This is, in no way, meant to reflect on YOU!!!!

Why would a "government" find it necessary to protect a species that is OUTSIDE of it's climatic preferences!! Can they command the weather to be more temperate? A hard freeze to about 36" depth CAN happen in parts of Iowa, do we need to send citizens out with heaters to keep the "pests" comfy???

DUMB!

But, we don't kill them, we buy them, so I don't THINK we violate this law, even if the snake did venture into Iowa to meet it's demise.

snyiper

Yea I have heard so much myth and urban legend on this topic I was just curious what everyone else does....Ed what has the Govt done Smart lately? Go ahead take your time....

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Yea I have heard so much myth and urban legend on this topic I was just curious what everyone else does....Ed what has the Govt done Smart lately? Go ahead take your time....

You UNDERESTIMATE me, I have a GREAT answer: They STAYED HOME when it snowed in DC!!!! SAVED the taxpayers a FORTUNE!!!

Now, can we arrange for LOTS more SNOW in DC?????

louisbry

When I find them on my property, I consider them a threat to me and mine so I kill them. Harmless snakes are left alone.

editorial note: When I refer to "them" I mean copperhead snakes, not politicians.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When I find them on my property, I consider them a threat to me and mine so I kill them. Harmless snakes are left alone.

editorial note: When I refer to "them" I mean copperhead snakes, not politicians.

We COULD, of course, ponder over WHICH is more dangerous, the copperhead or the politician. But that would be political, so we won't!! Save Curtis some headaches.:biggrin::biggrin:

JohnU

Im sure this is no different than some of the issues I face with feathers. It is illegal to use wild bird feather for anything. Not sure why. I can hunt a pheasant, duck, turkey, etc... but I cant sell pens made from them because I cant prove they were taken legally (what I was told by the local DNR) but.... if I buy them and keep the sales receipt then its legal. I buy them and dont ask questions.

If I had one..it would be dead anyway..."Off with its head!!" I scream all summer...wicked slithery cold blooded sneaky slimmy snakes...my dogs kill them all the time..and carry them around till I have to remove them and hide them in garbage bags. Never would think of saving them for you...arrggg yack too!!

PaulDoug

Im sure this is no different than some of the issues I face with feathers. It is illegal to use wild bird feather for anything. Not sure why. I can hunt a pheasant, duck, turkey, etc... but I cant sell pens made from them because I cant prove they were taken legally (what I was told by the local DNR) but.... if I buy them and keep the sales receipt then its legal. I buy them and dont ask questions.

I didn't know this, guess I'll buy a set and keep the receipt for all the others I find.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

PenMan1

I may have some next month

I need a copperhead snakeskin. any of you all who may have a connection to get these, please let me know, will pay. PM me

I live on a great big lake and about the end of this month or next copperheads will be in abundant supply. They are not protected here nor can I imagine they would be any where.

The skin I send may have some excrement on it, depending on how close it get before I see it.:biggrin:

PenMan1

Democratic Politicians, unlike copperheads, may be endangered in Georgia, but I doubt anyone around here would say much about making a pen out of one of them either.

Fred

Well now ... I'm quite sure that IF they asked that there would be quite a few Southern Georgians more than willing to "ship them as many as they would ever want.

This is a bad snake to mess with. You just have no idea as to the potential for serious injury that one can receive from these buggers. Stay away for this snake as he has a nasty disposition ... not that making a pen out of his skin is a bad idea mind you. Pretty good idea IMHO.

Just don't make the biggest mistake in your life and put the real snake in your pocket though. :eek::eek:

Rum Pig

I'm going to put my 2 cents in and say all snakes are good snakes and i hate hearing about people just chopping the heads off:eek:
I used to do snake removals and no matter how nasty the snakes was I always managed to remove it and relocate it with injury to humans and reptiles.:)
I do like the look of the snake skin blanks but I can not bring myself to buy one. If I ever see a politician skin blank them i will buy one of them for sure:biggrin:

snyiper

I used to do snake removals and no matter how nasty the snakes was I always managed to remove it and relocate it with injury to humans and reptiles.:)

Sounds painful what type of injuries were incured?:tongue:

seamus7227

I think I may have a local supplier as of today, still waiting, but anyone who can throw down with some, I will buy at least one for right now.

PenMan1

This is a bad snake to mess with. You just have no idea as to the potential for serious injury that one can receive from these buggers. Stay away for this snake as he has a nasty disposition ... not that making a pen out of his skin is a bad idea mind you. Pretty good idea IMHO.

Fred:
I live just south of you on Lake Oconee (Central South Georgia). Every year in our neighborhood, somebody loses a dog or two to copperheads. I am not snake-phobic but I got bitten a couple of years ago. It caused some problems. One neighbor had to have a foot amupated from copperhead bite and another eventually died from complications of copperhead bite. The local government here has declared copperheads, squirrels (all but the black ones) and cayotes as preditors and can be killed at any time without consequence.

I love all animals, but when copperheads destroy domesticated animals and cayotes kill the dairy cows, these populations of both HAVE to be thinned. White tail deer are really, really overpopulated here too. THANK GOODNESS this area has worldwide popularity among hunters, else we'd be in big trouble.

Top Bottom