Copper Pine Cone - My first

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from G1Pens

G1Pens

About a month ago we were sitting around in the shade at one of our motorcycle event. Just chilling and chatting and suddenly a pine cone literally hit me in the head. It dropped out of the tree I was under. I picked it up and looked at it. It was a nicely shaped pinecone. It was a little on the small side, but otherwise perfect. I picked it up handed it to my wife and ask her to keep it, that I wanted to make a pen with it. She looked at me like I was nuts, but held on to it. A couple weeks ago, I cut it square then placed it in a mold, mixed some acrylic and poured it over the pine cone. I messed with it a bit to make sure that the goo got into all the crevices since I dont have a pressure pot. Yesterday I got around to doing something with it. It turned great. There were a few small air bubbles which I filled with CA when I got close to the correct shape. Sanded it then coated with 7 coats of medium CA. Gave it a quick sanding with 600 grit then buffed.

I put it on copper. I though the copper accented the color of the acyrlic.

I am thrilled with the way it turned out. The first pinecone I've tried. Wasn't sure if the acrylic thing would work, but it did.

Comments, suggestions and criticisms are encouraged. Thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_6194a-web.jpg
    IMG_6194a-web.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_6195a-web.jpg
    IMG_6195a-web.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_6196a-web.jpg
    IMG_6196a-web.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 157
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

awesome work Gary! I really like the copper mica you used too. If you've still got it bring it to the meeting next Sat. I'd love it see it in person. My buddy Hans just did a pinecone demo this past Sat and I'm getting ready to attack one myself.

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Very good. I love your choice of color with that pinecone. It kakes a great pattern, doesn't it? And did your wife let YOU keep it?

boxerman

Very nice pine I really like it. And it fell out of the tree and hit you in the head. It probably said make me into a nice pen. LOL.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom