'Copper Mountain' Kitless Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from JeffreyG

JeffreyG

Another pen just finished is this one. Exotic Blanks - Lava Explosion 'Copper Mountain'. This pen material arrived as a substitute for another material that was out of stock. I had only two pieces to work with so needed to get it about right first time :wink:

The section and cap finial are turned from black Ebonite. The nib is a polished steel nib from Bock. Filling mechanism is cartridge/converter.

Attachments

• Lava Explosion Copper Mountain 1.jpeg
    Lava Explosion Copper Mountain 1.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 353
  • Lava Explosion Copper Mountain.jpeg
    Lava Explosion Copper Mountain.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 268
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JeffreyG

Hi David,

The pen blank was actually supplied from Vince - The Turners Workshop. I have also purchased some blanks from Exotic Blanks and had very good service. The downside is that importing from the USA can be expensive. I believe the clips are indeed from Exotic Blanks but I bought them some time ago along with lots of other bits from various suppliers and so cannot be 100% sure. I would have purchased more if they had been in stock. Exotic Blanks have a fair selection but sadly, the ones I need are not currently available.

You are certainly correct regarding obtaining clips being a problem. I am still trying to find a selection of larger clips, with larger mounting loops to suit my needs. I have been thinking about making my own at some stage in the future.

If you mail Vince at The Turners Workshop and ask for help, he has quite a stock on hand but not advertised on his web pages the last time I checked. I can't thank him enough for the assistance he provided.

Have a look also at the Beaufort Ink web pages as Phil may have something suitable for you there.

jalbert

Nice job! I'm quite partial to kitless fountain pens. I find them to very enjoyable projects. In regards to making your own clips, I'd say go for it! I started making my own a couple months ago and have thoroughly enjoyed not having to rely on whether or not I can find something commercially made to suit the pen I am making!

JeffreyG

Jalbert,

I would like to see your clips sometime perhaps?

I am still pondering whether to have a go at making them as there are one or two aspects I have to research.

One of those concerns is durability in use. For example, if I make a clip entirely from brass or bronze, is it going to be weak over time and lack some 'spring' to keep the clip against the cap of the pen? Do I need to temper it?

Plating is another aspect to consider.

Fortunately, I have a good engineering friend who may be able to advise me on ironing out these issues.

I need also to make jigs to form consistent bends for the loop of the clip and to hold them securely while working. I have a metal lathe arriving next week, that will make fabrication of jigs and tools a little easier. I should have perhaps purchased the milling attachment as well to help with the jigs and to be able to add some shape to the clips!

Regards,

J

jalbert

PM me sometime and I'll see if I can't find some pictures of clips and clip making jigs I've made.

As far as springiness goes, I've been happy with the bronze and nickel silver clips I've made. I start out with an annealed piece of metal and by the time I have finished bending and hammering the clip to shape and whatnot, it is sufficiently work hardened and has a decent amount of spring to it. I have never worked with ferrous metals, so I can't really say how the process would go. I imagine you would simply start with a piece of un-hardened spring steel, do your shaping, then harden and temper it to put the spring back in it.

As far as platings go, I've never dealt with them. I only ever use bronze or nickel silver to match the color of the accents on the pen.
-John

Phil Dart

Beaufort Ink has only four styles of clip in stock at the moment. However, there are 15 more styles on the way, each one in gold or chrome, which should be available within the next two to three weeks all being well.

JeffreyG

Beaufort Ink has only four styles of clip in stock at the moment. However, there are 15 more styles on the way, each one in gold or chrome, which should be available within the next two to three weeks all being well.

Thanks for the info Phil, will be in touch in two to three weeks all being well :)

J.

Top Bottom