"Copper Knotz" Wall Street II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from akbar24601

akbar24601

The body is Che Chen with 4 Copper Celtic Knots. The kit is a Copper Wall Street II. I am very pleased with the way that this one turned out, with the exception of a few unsightly glue lines. It came apart on the lathe a couple of times and needed to be rushed to surgery. LOL. Thanks for lookin'. Any and all comments are welcome.

Attachments

• Copper Knotz.jpg
    Copper Knotz.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 344
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GouletPens

Steve,

You like the metal and wood look huh? I know chechen can be an SOB to turn, I bet the knots would be much easier with a wood that doesn't try to sabotage you whenever you touch it with a tool. That would look even better with a Chrome/satin chrome kit from Bear Tooth Woods.

akbar24601

Thanks for the advice on the kit. You don't think the Chrome would clash with the Copper?

Actually, the Chechen wasn't that bad to deal with. Yes, I do like the wood/metal look. But I do actually do things in just wood also. :)

kruzzer

Steve..... I really like the lines of this one. As far as the glue lines go?? just say you planed it that way to give it more character....

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
Looks great. I love chechem, haven't had any problems with it except when
I cut it at an angle (like you did) and then it can fly apart if you're not careful
but it's beautiful stuff when you put oil to it.
I like the metal and wood look..

leehljp

Member Liaison
LOVE IT! Super! Wow!

As to the coming apart - it probably can't be stopped totally. I learned something from Eagle who did things like this. He wound cord around tightly and CA it. I would turn the middle section down to about a millimeter large. Next, I would wind more cord around the middle and CA that section. Then I would do the ends very gently. Lastly, I tuned the middle section again. One within a millimeter from end to end, sand down or turn very gently with a sharp sharp edge.

Eagle posted a few here in which the outside was covered in cord and CA'ed to prevent it from coming apart while drilling or turning.

This kind of turning takes more steps but the beauty of the pen is worth it. I hate to see great work fall apart on the lathe!

Last edited:

Jim Smith

You do a beautiful job with the metal on your pens. I'm sure that pen looks even nicer in person with the copper kit and the copper segments of the Celtic Knots.

Very nice work!

Jim Smith

akbar24601

LOVE IT! Super! Wow!

As to the coming apart - it probably can't be stopped totally. I learned something from Eagle who did things like this. He wound cord around tightly and CA it. I would turn the middle section down to about a millimeter large. Next, I would wind more cord around the middle and CA that section. Then I would do the ends very gently. Lastly, I tuned the middle section again. One within a millimeter from end to end, sand down or turn very gently with a sharp sharp edge.

Eagle posted a few here in which the outside was covered in cord and CA'ed to prevent it from coming apart while drilling or turning.

This kind of turning takes more steps but the beauty of the pen is worth it. I hate to see great work fall apart on the lathe!

That is a FANTASTIC thought!!! Thank you for passing that on Hank. I'm sure that will come in real handy in the future.

MobilMan

Very nice WS steve. I think you did it justice with the copper kit. Copper is nice & I've done a few myself, but it's hard to find something that goes good with copper.

VisExp

Beautiful segmenting work and pen! Well done. That must have been a bear to drill and turn. That copper looks pretty thick, what gauge is it?

akbar24601

Beautiful segmenting work and pen! Well done. That must have been a bear to drill and turn. That copper looks pretty thick, what gauge is it?

Hey Keith, The Copper is .025. The drilling wasn't too bad, slow n' steady. A little harder on the turning side though. It sure is purty though. I'd do it again. :biggrin:

GouletPens

Thanks for the advice on the kit. You don't think the Chrome would clash with the Copper?

Actually, the Chechen wasn't that bad to deal with. Yes, I do like the wood/metal look. But I do actually do things in just wood also. :)

Geez my bad. I do that a lot. I meant the Copper/satin copper kit, not chrome. Yeah, the chrome would look bad. They have a copper/satin copper that is the same style as the chrome/chrome, but it would match this pen much better. I really do have a sense of style, I swear!!:bulgy-eyes:

ldb2000

It sure is "Purty" Steve . I love the look . Get yourself a set of the PSI Carbide tipped turning tools , You can't get them as sharp as the HSS (they still are scary sharp) but they hold an edge for allot longer when working with metals and hard acrylics and tru-stone . Amazon has them for about $30 at times for the set of 3 , a great deal .

Last edited:

akbar24601

Geez my bad. I do that a lot. I meant the Copper/satin copper kit, not chrome. Yeah, the chrome would look bad. They have a copper/satin copper that is the same style as the chrome/chrome, but it would match this pen much better. I really do have a sense of style, I swear!!:bulgy-eyes:

Now you're talkin'! That kit sounds nice, I'll look for it. Thanx for the tip.:smile-big:

akbar24601

It sure is "Purty" Steve . I love the look . Get yourself a set of the PSI Carbide tipped turning tools , You can't get them as sharp as the HSS (they still are scary sharp) but they hold an edge for allot longer when working with metals and hard acrylics and tru-stone . Amazon has them for about $30 at times for the set of 3 , a great deal .

Thanx for the advice Butch. I will certainly keep my eyes open for them.:)

Top Bottom