Copper, Copper, Copper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

This is White W/Copper Tru-stone, Segmented W/Copper and Black acrylic, on a Copper JR Gent Retro. All Glued together with copper tented epoxy. This was a royal pain in the butt, the lower barrel came apart 5 times while drilling it and the cap came apart 3. It has a CA finish to seal it up and keep it shiny. It has taken me about two weeks to complete it. :biggrin:
Comments welcome, Thanks for looking.
attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG0002.jpg
    CIMG0002.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 719
  • CIMG0063_4_5_fused.jpg
    CIMG0063_4_5_fused.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 218
  • CIMG0066_7_8_fused.jpg
    CIMG0066_7_8_fused.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 231
  • CIMG0071_2_3_fused.jpg
    CIMG0071_2_3_fused.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 209
  • CIMG0076_5_4_fused.jpg
    CIMG0076_5_4_fused.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

Very nice pen. I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Try this on your next attempt to keep the blank from coming apart when drilling. First make sure the blank is square, then glue a 1/8" thick strip of Maple, or some other hardwood to all 4 sides. Glue two opposite sides first making sure the edge is even with the edge of the blank. When you glue the final 2 sides, overlap the the wood strips from the first sides you glued on. This will hold everything together while drilling, and will turn off completely.

maxman400

Very nice pen. I can tell you put a lot of work into it.

Try this on your next attempt to keep the blank from coming apart when drilling. First make sure the blank is square, then glue a 1/8" thick strip of Maple, or some other hardwood to all 4 sides. Glue two opposite sides first making sure the edge is even with the edge of the blank. When you glue the final 2 sides, overlap the the wood strips from the first sides you glued on. This will hold everything together while drilling, and will turn off completely.
Thanks for the tip. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Now that my friend is some very nice segmenting. I have told you this before with your other creation that your work needs to make the front page. I bet it was a bear to drill. Timbo does have a good method to keep together. The huge concern is drilling dead center. This is the stuff I yearn for. This shows creation and an effort to make a real fine pen that is worthy of top dollar. I am sure you know of the one little mistake but it does not detract from the pen at all. Thanks for showing and keep it up.

maxman400

Now that my friend is some very nice segmenting. I have told you this before with your other creation that your work needs to make the front page. I bet it was a bear to drill. Timbo does have a good method to keep together. The huge concern is drilling dead center. This is the stuff I yearn for. This shows creation and an effort to make a real fine pen that is worthy of top dollar. I am sure you know of the one little mistake but it does not detract from the pen at all. Thanks for showing and keep it up.
Thank you sir,
After the bottom came apart time after time I actually cast the cap in alumilite in 1" PVC but it also let loose on the last segment that is why the last piece on the top is missing the copper, I could not get it back inside of the tube.:frown:

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Thank you sir,
After the bottom came apart time after time I actually cast the cap in alumilite in 1" PVC but it also let loose on the last segment that is why the last piece on the top is missing the copper, I could not get it back inside of the tube.:frown:

That is the mistake I had seen. What type glue did you use to glue the segments??? I think you mentioned CA. I don't think we segmenters have come up with that perfect glue yet unless someone has I sure hope they would share the secret.:biggrin:

jttheclockman

I used Epoxy tented with copper mica powder.

Yes after I reread your original post I see you mentioned that. I was wondering if the powder took away some of the epoxy strength. I guess the only way to know that is do an experiment. Anyway again a very fine looking pen and well thought out. Thanks for showing.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Excellent !!!:good::good::good:
My only tiny thing would have been to trim the tubes down the few mm to get rid of the segments that didn't get the copper.

Dustygoose

Beautiful and worthy of the effort. I agree with John T about the strength of the epoxy and the mica. The powder may have altered the bond. I use Testors model paint and a VERY small drop from a toothpick to tint epoxy. I don't try to match the color exactly but camo it enough to blend in. If that sounds right?

maxman400

Beautiful and worthy of the effort. I agree with John T about the strength of the epoxy and the mica. The powder may have altered the bond. I use Testors model paint and a VERY small drop from a toothpick to tint epoxy. I don't try to match the color exactly but camo it enough to blend in. If that sounds right?
I sanded every piece with150 paper, but in each case the epoxy seperated from the copper not the tru-stone, I had use a razorblade to cut it from the tru-stone.

wizard

Max, That is a gorgeous pen! Unbelievable segmenting..I don't know enough about segmenting to conceive the creation of that pen .IMHO..It deserves to be a contender for The Best of IAP. Regards, Doc

Top Bottom