copper and aliminium slims

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from skiprat

Status
Not open for further replies.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
A couple of slimlines from my ' plumbers' box of bits. The black is the bottom of a flower pot. The thin copper between the black on the bottom one is from a 1 inch pipe, cut and flattened into strips.
Sorry for crummy pic, but I really struggle to photo shiney metal.
Hope you like:D

200743204642_copperali.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

What!? No titanium? [:D] Nicely done. The flower pot material will probably keep galvanic corrosion at bay. If the two metals were to be in contact, they would make for a good battery and gradually eat at the metals. Looks great.

ilikewood

Wow Stephen!! You're the only guy here who routinely uses his junk pile to make beautiful work. I gotta get me some junk like yours, but my problem is turning beauties like yours!! Nice work!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Originally posted by btboone
<br />What!? No titanium? [:D] Nicely done. The flower pot material will probably keep galvanic corrosion at bay. If the two metals were to be in contact, they would make for a good battery and gradually eat at the metals. Looks great.

Hiya Bruce, I honestly wouldn't even recognise a chuck of titanium if it landed on my head[:D] Is it an alloy of some sort? And how hard and heavy is it anyway? I would love to try some though[;)]

I also think that an electrical current needs to flow through different metals to cause a galvanic reaction. But I may be wrong again[:D] If I am, then how come all our kits don't react with their various bits? [?]

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Skiprat,

One trip to photographying shiny metal that I just read about. Use a unfiltered bulb for your "highlight" beam but add a blackout mask so that the light only hits one part of the object. Maybe a piece of black paper with a thin slit in it so the slit of light hits the pens. Or a row of diamonds. Just something to get rid of the "universally even" light.

GK

btboone

Skiprat, titanium is pretty light, but it's a bear to machine. It's kinda like stainless to machine. Most of the kits have pretty inert coatings on their parts otherwise they would oxidize like copper or aluminum will do if left untreated.

ChrisinOR

Very sweet!!!! These two look so sharp!!! Way to go!

I did notice one thing... I don't see a seem any where..? Are the tips permanently out?

Chris Nilluka

workinforwood

They look awesome. Is it mostly copper pipe that's already hollow? Or did you flatten all the metals and then drill them? You must have flattened them I figure, or else how'd you glue and secure the flower pots...but then how'd you drill it without melting the glue?

gerryr

Great looking pens Steven. BTW, galvanic corrosion doesn't need an electrical current to occur, but if you applied one to these pens while you were writing, I'm sure whatever you rote would be pretty startling.[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom