Cooper Wattle, Tyson and Superman

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from dkrwoodturning

Let me tell you a story behind the title. Before you go searching data banks for Copper Wattle, there is no such thing. it is Black wattle that I have used in this pen. This pen came about 6 years ago, in memory for Tyson Cooper who lost his life in a car accident. Seven years ago his father had cut some logs of Black Wattle and gifted them to me. That was when I first met Tyson. I learned he was a runner, a sprinter and a very good one at that. He was that good, that people were saying he would go to London for the olympics.

When he ran in the 4 x 100 relay, he always ran the last hundred and by the time he hit the final curve they said he use to fly like superman, hence the nick name he earned in the athletics club he belonged too. On the night we lost Tyson he had run his fastest hundred meters and then hopped in the car with the family to visit relatives down south. The car left the road and hit a single tree and Tyson died in his 15 year old sister's lap.

I made pens for his parents and sister and 12 of Tyson's mates. I never had a design in mind and it just came out of no where. As people that know my turning, this isn't my preferred style. I call them Tyson's Pen and renamed the timber as Cooper Wattle in his honor. I work with a lady and her son Rheed is a wheel chair athlete and Tyson was his hero. Rheed wears a superman medallion when he races and I thought it was fitting if he received a Tyson's pen.

So that is the story of Cooper Wattle, Tyson and Superman. Here a couple of pictures of the pen. A Black Wattle slim line, sanded to 12000 MM and finished with EEE and Shellawax Glow. I hope you like what I show.

Cheers
Darren

Attachments

• P1010080.JPG
    P1010080.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 263
  • P1010082.JPG
    P1010082.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 215
  • P1010083.JPG
    P1010083.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 213
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

A moving story. Selling pens for $1000 might be great, but pens like this make it all worthwhile to me. You have made a very nice looking pen that has something attached to it the has no price. Bravo !!

Gary I looked at your work, you make pens with nice clean lines and the transition from barrel to components are smooth. The finish is flawless. Yes to make a pen like this, has worth but as you said can not place a value on it. The only person is the recipient. It was an honor to be able to do this.

Top Bottom