Cooper vs. Brass

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jgrden

Jgrden

What do you think about the brass tubes that might be conflicting with the copper tubes in the finial and nib. Should this center section be mated with brass tubes in the finial?
OZTurner, see any solder ???? heh, heh, heh, :rolleyes:

Test 1.JPG

Test 2.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I think I agree with you ... using copper tubes would probably help it flow better...

Perhaps you could keep the brass tubes by making the background copper? Attach copper foil to the brass tube! :)

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I actually think the brass will work fine once it's aged and dulled down a bit.
Is it too late to polish the tube before allowing it to age?

Have you just mocked up the arrangement for the pic? I can't figure out the gap between body and nib section.

Looking forward to seeing the finish result.

Skie_M

Yeah, it's just sitting there, not pressed. :)

It looks like the refill is running between the front end and the back end of the pen, underneath the barrel. The back of the barrel is sitting on the flange for the rear end, while the flange for the front end is entirely visible, along with the pen refill running through the 2 parts.

magpens

Looks like a kit pen to me !!!!! . :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: . Not that I have anything against kit pens !!!!

I was planning to do one like that and fill up the whole circumference of the 3/8" brass tube with small diameter brass or copper rods/tubes, or maybe welding rods.

Can't see any solder, John. . Did you glue ?

Last edited:

OZturner

John, I am Delighted to Report that I can't see any Solder, What did you use?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes::biggrin:

I see that some others are speculating on what you have, or have not done. I will leave that for them to Pontificate about.

Love your Concept , and No I don't think the Copper and Brass will be a problem. :good:

I love the small Tube section at the Nib end, and how it Compliments, the Tubes on the Body.
The only thing I noticed was that at the top end of the Tubes of the Body Section, there is some discolourisation of the Top of the Brass Tube, I can't tell if it is due to heat transfer, or if it is a bit of rubbish or dust. :eek:
Regardless it is Fantastic.

As I said in an earlier Post, I probably would have "Thrown it against the Wall", but not You.
Congratulations, My Friend, you have come such a Long Way in a Such a Short Time, due to your Diligence and Tenacity.
Regards and Celebrations,
Brian.

Jgrden

I actually think the brass will work fine once it's aged and dulled down a bit.
Is it too late to polish the tube before allowing it to age?

Have you just mocked up the arrangement for the pic? I can't figure out the gap between body and nib section.

Looking forward to seeing the finish result.

Yes, the nib portion kept popping back out due to the spring. I shod have removed the spring to make the pen look complete. Your idea a bout the aging is a good one. I have a habit of polishing my work at night while watching TV using a jewelers cloth.. Got too aggressive.

Thank you,
John:)

Jgrden

Looks like a kit pen to me !!!!! . :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: . Not that I have anything against kit pens !!!!

I was planning to do one like that and fill up the whole circumference of the 3/8" brass tube with small diameter brass or copper rods/tubes, or maybe welding rods.

hehm, heh, heh. No glue. The result of practice. :)

Jgrden

OZBrian:
Thank yu for your response. The bottom nib was not installed. it kept popping out because I failed to remove the spring for the picture. No, glue. I used far less flux and only where I wanted the solder to go. Then the solder was cut into tiny bits, just enough to tack the tube down thinking that "group support" would hold it together. Wait 'till you sere the next theme. It is copper cables running through pulleys. It has fallen completely apart two times and four cables have been trashed due to unwinding. It is eighty percent complete. The theme after that one is going to be gears.

Jgrden

No glue. Say, what pen components are you going to use on the idea you expressed? One of the next events is going to be with a fountain pen. All that will used is the nib. bottom and top collars, and venial cap.

OZturner

OZBrian:
Thank yu for your response. The bottom nib was not installed. it kept popping out because I failed to remove the spring for the picture. No, glue. I used far less flux and only where I wanted the solder to go. Then the solder was cut into tiny bits, just enough to tack the tube down thinking that "group support" would hold it together. Wait 'till you sere the next theme. It is copper cables running through pulleys. It has fallen completely apart two times and four cables have been trashed due to unwinding. It is eighty percent complete. The theme after that one is going to be gears.

John the Future Pen Projects sound very Interesting, Copper Cable, and Pulleys, Gears, sounds Fantastic, and Mind Blowing.
I Envy You, I would Definitely not have the Patience, or Tenacity nor Disposition to tackle such a Task, so Fraught, with Difficulties.
Has Anyone ever Suggested that you have Masochistic Tendencies, to put yourself through so much Stress, Torment and Anguish. :wink: :laugh:

You are Very Much a Pioneer, Braking New Ground, Pushing the Boundaries in New Directions.
Keep at it, Progression needs Explorers Like You.

Kind Regard,
Brian.

Top Bottom