Coolibah Virage

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from juteck

juteck

This style pen is starting to grow on me, so I finally decided to make one for me! Coolibah burl filled with copy toner black, and one of my better CA finishes (I still have a long ways to go, though). Photo is lacking, just a camera phone and the pen sitting on my desk......

Comments/critiques are always welcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Attachments

• image-1338274496.jpg
    image-1338274496.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 385
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LagniappeRob

I didn't think I would like the Virage when I saw them online but thought they would appeal to a more feminine crowd than some of my others. Then I did a couple. I really like them. Nice weight. Comfortable to hold. Look sharp in person. Don't know if that says more about them or me?:confused:

juteck

Thanks everyone for the comments. I know the picture sucks, but I've been using this pen all day today, and really like it.

I didn't think I would like the Virage when I saw them online but thought they would appeal to a more feminine crowd than some of my others. Then I did a couple. I really like them. Nice weight. Comfortable to hold. Look sharp in person. Don't know if that says more about them or me?:confused:

That was my thought too. I made one for my wife in a red dyed burl, and she loves hers, so I tried it, liked it, but needed a non-red blank for me. With the right blank, it loses its femine look!

I've never been much of a virage fan. But I'm a big fan of your blank. Good job! That black fill really sets of the blank.

I first tried filling the cracks with coffee grounds, but the ones I had weren't ground into a fine enough powder to get into the cracks, so out came the copy toner powder.

Neat pen but I have to ask...copy toner? Be gentle, I'm still new at pens!

Copy toner from the toner cartridges in a photocopy machine. We changed one out at work a while back, and some of the toner fell out, so I got the great idea that I should put some in a jar and save it for some reason. It is an extremely fine black powder (baby powder fine), and gets EVERYWHERE. I simply took a fingertip "scoop" from the jar, and rubbed it into the cracks, then turned the lathe speed on slow and applied thin CA. Sanded, and re-applied - twice more, then applied thin/medium CA to finish it off. Did I mention that this black powder gets EVERYWHERE!!

Dalepenkala

Hello John!
Nice looking pen! The Virage is one of our main lines of pens. I liked the pen myself that is why I talked to Jen about adding it to our product line.

Hendu3270

I first tried filling the cracks with coffee grounds, but the ones I had weren't ground into a fine enough powder to get into the cracks, so out came the copy toner powder.

We use Folgers instant coffee and it disolves completely. Good looking pen!

Top Bottom