Coolibah Sedona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

Titanium Gold Sedona Rollerball with Coolibah.
Finished with Minwax Clear Satin Poly.
As always comments and or suggestions appreciated.

titaniumgoldsedonarollebd5.jpg

titaniumgoldsedonarollefs3.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

If they make a gloss my eyes will new sunglasses to see it.
Originally posted by ed4copies

Originally posted by dalecamino

Beautiful Les ! That's Satin ? I too would like to know how you apply the finish ! [8D]

My thoughts, exactly.

Do they MAKE a "gloss"???

rd_ab_penman

Thanks for all your comments.

To apply the finish I use a blue shop towel cut 5"L X 1"W and fold in four to make a pad. Dip the end of the pad into the poly, and with the lathe stopped, wipe lengh-wise along the blank and rotate by hand until the entire blank is coated. I apply 6 coats and let dry for 4 hours between coats

Minwax dose make a Clear Gloss also and I apply the same as I apply the Clear Satin.

dsc02071tj0.jpg

bfrikken

wow, i have that finish sitting in my garage cupboard at home. I didn't realize it could offer such a nice finish on pens.

jdarragh

Very nice finish! I was doing the math in my head and figuring 6 coats with 4 hours in between would use up a considerable amount of time on the lathe. Surely there is a jig or contraption to be made and used to finish several blanks at once. Something where you would have a 1/4" mandrel cut into a long section with the ability to rotate it freely and smoothly to apply the poly. Something on the order of a plastic dowel on crude centers of some sort. There are guys in this forum who are far more mechanical minded than me. Any suggestions?

rd_ab_penman

Originally posted by jdarragh

Very nice finish! I was doing the math in my head and figuring 6 coats with 4 hours in between would use up a considerable amount of time on the lathe. Surely there is a jig or contraption to be made and used to finish several blanks at once. Something where you would have a 1/4" mandrel cut into a long section with the ability to rotate it freely and smoothly to apply the poly. Something on the order of a plastic dowel on crude centers of some sort. There are guys in this forum who are far more mechanical minded than me. Any suggestions?

After apply ing the Poly, I remove each blank from the lathe and put on a dowel to dry four 4 hours, this way my lathe is not tied up with drying blanks.

Top Bottom