Cool Mint Water Demonstrator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Lately it seems I've been on a demonstrator kick. People have been expressing interest in them, and so I keep getting orders for them. They aren't the most exciting of pens to make, but using the "water" series of (as well as other very nice transparent) acrylics that Beartooth sells, they do make for a very visually appealing pen.

This one is made from "cool mint water" acrylic. It uses a #6 nib, and can be converter or eyedropper filled. It was left clipless per the customers request.

Attachments

• mint2.jpg
    mint2.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 489
  • mint.jpg
    mint.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 414
  • mint3.jpg
    mint3.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 299
  • mint4.jpg
    mint4.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 354
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

This is probably the most appealing-to-the-eye "demonstrator" that I have seen in a long time. Excellent attention to the smooth finish of the interior areas. Great choice for the blank to use. :good:

Oh...and the transparent clip is truly out of sight! :tongue::rolleyes:

jalbert

This is probably the most appealing-to-the-eye "demonstrator" that I have seen in a long time. Excellent attention to the smooth finish of the interior areas. Great choice for the blank to use. :good:

Oh...and the transparent clip is truly out of sight! :tongue::rolleyes:

Thanks Steve! What constitutes a "demonstrator" is greatly debated within the fountain pen community. Some claim it has to be crystal clear, others don't mind transparent colored ones. Personally, I find crystal clear very boring, so I really love these transparent colored and patterned blanks!

OZturner

Glorious Pen, John.
Love the Cool Mint Blank, and your Superb Treatment of it.
I feel that you are getting the Best of Both Worlds, the ability to see the Internals of the Assembled Pen, plus the Interesting and Taunting Wisps of the Cool Mint Partially Obscuring.
As usual your Profile, and Proportions are Fantastic, and Your Finish is Excellent.
An Outstanding Demonstrator, and a Fantastic Pen.
Congratulations,
Brian.

First time I've seen a demonstrator pen and I think it's awesome. I assume you chase the threads on the blank? Very nice show of skill, and a remarkable looking pen. I haven't seen those blanks at BTW even though I get almost all my kits there since I enjoy casting blanks almost as much as turning them. I think I'll check them out. I don't have the skill to do anything like yours though!

jalbert

First time I've seen a demonstrator pen and I think it's awesome. I assume you chase the threads on the blank? Very nice show of skill, and a remarkable looking pen. I haven't seen those blanks at BTW even though I get almost all my kits there since I enjoy casting blanks almost as much as turning them. I think I'll check them out. I don't have the skill to do anything like yours though!

Thanks! I cut all the threads in the blank using my metalworking lathe and a single point tool. It's part of what makes doing custom work enjoyable to me.

Beartooth has some amazing blanks. I only recently started ordering from them. I am absolutely in love with this acrylic and a lot of the other "water" series ones they carry, as well as their "mist" series as well.

Psychmike22

Lately it seems I've been on a demonstrator kick. People have been expressing interest in them, and so I keep getting orders for them. They aren't the most exciting of pens to make, but using the "water" series of (as well as other very nice transparent) acrylics that Beartooth sells, they do make for a very visually appealing pen.

This one is made from "cool mint water" acrylic. It uses a #6 nib, and can be converter or eyedropper filled. It was left clipless per the customers request.

Hello,
I am starting to get into demonstrators. My internal polishing needs a lot more work. Do you use taps and dies or do you cut the threads with your metal lathe?

Mike Marroquin

jalbert

Hello,
I am starting to get into demonstrators. My internal polishing needs a lot more work. Do you use taps and dies or do you cut the threads with your metal lathe?

Mike Marroquin

I use my metalworking lathe to cut all the threads.

magpens

Extremely attractive and very, very well done, John !!!!!

I am wondering why there seem to be 3 threadings ... cap to body, section to body, and a threading seemingly between those two.

Last edited:

jalbert

Extremely attractive and very, very well done, John !!!!!

I am wondering why there seem to be 3 threadings ... cap to body, section to body, and a threading seemingly between those two.

cap to body, section to body, and threads inside the section for the nib unit. I'm assuming those are what you are seeing?

Psychmike22

Hello,

Mike Marroquin

I use my metalworking lathe to cut all the threads.

Great work. I have been using taps and dies. I have to start learning to cut threads with the lathe and cutters. Thanks for showing off your fine work.

Mike Marroquin

magpens

One more question ....

With the term "eyedropper filled", does that mean that the machined blank itself acts as the "container" for the ink ?

If so, what measures do you take to prevent leakage of the ink ? . Is there an O-ring seal around the section ?

Thanks

Last edited:

jalbert

With the term "eyedropper filled", does that mean that the machined blank itself acts as the "container" for the ink ?

If so, what measures do you take to prevent leakage of the ink ? . Is there an O-ring seal around the section ?

Thanks

Yes, the ink goes directly in the barrel. The section threads are cut so there is no slop in them, and then sealed with silicon grease. I've never had a problem using this method. You could do an o-ring seal, but I don't find it necessary.

Top Bottom