Conversion

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveAxelrod

SteveAxelrod

I added a fountain pen conversion to this Jr Abraham rollerball so the customer has the option to easily switch between types of pen. The cost was $9. Best of both worlds for the discriminating pen collector?

Attachments

• Jr Aaron Fountain Pen Conversion (F+).jpg
    Jr Aaron Fountain Pen Conversion (F+).jpg
    103 KB · Views: 228
  • Jr Abraham & Maple Burl v1(F).jpg
    Jr Abraham & Maple Burl v1(F).jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 239
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very beautiful pen, and I am always impressed by the architecture of the Jr Abraham.

But ... I just don't know the answer to your question, Steve.

I have the feeling ... and it's only a feeling ... that discriminating pen USERS are either in one world or the other ... fountain pen OR other pen. . Perhaps there are discriminating COLLECTORS who do want the "best of both worlds" ... just don't know. . Do discriminating COLLECTORS actually use their pens ?

Speaking for myself ... if I want to write with a fountain pen I want it to be available as a fountain pen ... I don't want to switch it from a rollerball to a fountain pen, and I most certainly don't want to do the reverse switch ... because how/where do I then store the fountain pen nib and the attached, partially full ink cartridge.

I can see having two functional pens ... one of each ... but I can't relate to changing parts from one to the other.

Having said that, I do recall having purchased a couple of convertible pen kits which I have not yet made ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Have no idea about want both type pens because I never offered it or made any. But I will say I like this kit the more times I see it. I ordered some the other day and need to try a few. Nice job with yours either way you set it up. Thanks for showing.

More4dan

Most likely it will appeal to either market better ensuring a sell as one or the other. Another could appeal to someone shopping for someone else and not sure of their preferences.

Lovely pen none the less.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

mecompco

My take on convertibles is that you now have two pens in one to sell. I market my Atrax pens as available in either FP or RB configuration. I just put whatever section on that the customer chooses. As far as swapping back and forth, I'd personally never bother to do it (but perhaps others would).

Regards,
Michael

SteveG

I have long been selling my capped pens as "one, the other, or both" (RB, FP, or RB & FP). That way the customer could choose. Some really like the idea of a convertible pen. My observation is that it is not a pen collector who goes for the convertible option, but rather someone who enjoys pens, and is intrigued by the option to convert. I would typically price the upgrade to "convertible" as at least adding the cost of a second kit that I would pull the needed parts from. On a pen like the Imperial, that can be a little expensive, but was OK with customers.

I have no idea of the market for a convertible and I don't think it matters much as that is one beautiful pen regardless of what nib is used. Well done Steve!

Top Bottom