Connie's First Pen!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TheHoneymooners

Status
Not open for further replies.
After mowing the grass while Mike was turning pens...it was time to make my own since I've been giving up SOOOOO much for this new venture. LOL (I needed the sun and exercise anyways!!)

All he had left was a piece of Bethlehem Olive Wood for a Patriot or whatever those single pens are called (yes, one day I'll have all their names memorized. Im' still trying to keep all 3 kids names' straight- much less add all these lol) I had helped just a TAD with his first few- but this was my first from start to finish.

So..... guess THIS will be the pen that goes in my apron at work, since I can't sell my first one!! BUT!! maybe I'll sell some juuussttttt like it!

There are better pictures in our photo album with the other patriots that Mike made this weekend, but figured I"d post this one alone.

Yep- I can see where its completely addictive!!!

Connie

2005410231950_ConniesFirstPen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimGo

Congratulations Connie! It's about time! :) Great job with that pen, too. Hmmm...Mike, I think it might be time to order a 2nd lathe! :)

LOL Mike has already mentioned that, Jim!!! Since he lives a little over an hour away (and we'll still keep 2 houses after the marriage) AND.... since my son & his friend want to turn pens now---a portable sized lathe might be in order after we've sold a few!!!

So, I guess I could start a new thread, asking what brand mini/midi/portable lathe is the best for the money? LOL We'd need something he could carry in his car- back seat or trunk. AND I had thought, IF we ever got into doing shows-- perhaps one small enough to set up there. Oh well, IK'm going on too long for this thread! LOL

thanks for all y'alls comments!! The pen is MUCh prettier in 'real' life than in the photos-- but isn't that true for them all?

JimGo

I have a TurnCrafter Pro from PSI. For the money, it has been a great tool. Might be a bit big, though, if you want to lug it around with you; I've seen some very small lathes that are basically only good for pens and miniatures, which might meet your needs. Actually, there's a sort of mini-shopsmith that I've seen on eBay a few times that might be right up Mike's alley! Just do a search for pen lathe.

The set I saw looked something like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=632&item=4372235353&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW&tc=photo

I think Harbor Freight was selling something like it, too.

Leather Man

Connie,
What is Mike's secret? How do I get my wife to cut the grass while I turn pens? LOL. Great looking pen. Hope to get my BOW soon so I can make a pen like that.
Ben

mick

Jim, I looked at that lathe you posted the site to and it only has 4 inches between centers. Would kinda limit you to turning half a pen at a time.......lol. I was thinking more along the lines of a Jet Midi lathe. Woodcraft has a varible speed one for 349.00. now it I can talk Connie into shortening the Honeymoon one day ......I might can afford it! Of course she'd insist I look for it on eBay first!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom