Conkerberry from Peter on Elegant Sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it this A.M. It's Conkerberry, a kind gift from Peter Hay aka pwhay, on a Black Ti/ Ti Gold Elegant Sierra. The wood is from Central Australia. It's orange and brown and very distinctive. Looks more defined as far as the colors in person than in the pictures. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Conkerberry Sierra_2.jpg
    Conkerberry Sierra_2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 232
  • Conkerberry Sierra.jpg
    Conkerberry Sierra.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 184
  • Conkerberry Sierra_3.jpg
    Conkerberry Sierra_3.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 133
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

Very nice pen.

You might want to photograph on something other than black though. the metal parts of the pen are lost. The reflection of the black on the pen makes the metal look too thin....distored..IMHO

Beautiful pen though.

wizard

Gary, I took your suggestion, tried it on a white background and it looks a lot nicer with a sharper border between the orange and brown. What do you think? Regards, Doc

Attachments

• Conkerberry Sierra_1.jpg
    Conkerberry Sierra_1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 152

dgscott

Pretty wood, nice job! As much as I love American hardwoods, those Aussies have some beautiful material to work with, don't they?
Doug

G1Pens

Gary, I took your suggestion, tried it on a white background and it looks a lot nicer with a sharper border between the orange and brown. What do you think? Regards, Doc

I think that looks a lot better. Now get your white balance corrected and you have a winner.

I did this really quick and don't have the pen to judge colors....but....

Attachments

• Conkerberry%20Sierra_1.jpg
    Conkerberry%20Sierra_1.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

ctubbs

Beautiful pen, Doc. Your work is outstanding as usual. That piece of timber has such subtle color changes, yet is so gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
Charles

randywa

Doc that a great looking pen. I looked up Conkerberry and came up with black currant. Is there a chance this is like the black currant in Mo? From what I,ve read it's not native here, but we have a few on the farm that looks very close. I may need to go cut more brush.

PenPal

Morning here Hi Doc,

I recently sent this one small piece of Conkerberry to Doc it had sapwood the whole works no one can tell as you turn this beautiful wood just what you will find as it turns down.

Conkerberry grows in (Tiger) expression only country in the northern parts of Australia. It grows only up to about 7 feet high gets thickish if very old 200 yrs is covered in 1/4 inch thorns, dense in thickets. Called variously bush plum, native currant.Randy you could identify your bushes by the thorns or the fruit is green then red turning to black when ripe it has two small knobby seeds, the flesh is sweet. When cut it is incredible,absolutely amazing colour.

My mate who cut this piece said one long and exhausting collecting trip when he was younger( now couple of mths only different from me at 76yrs) there he was in the heat and mozzies, sweat pouring off fully outstretched under a series of bushes having cut a narrow path in with the chain saw, cut the base (chain saw) hooked a rope on towed out withe four wheel drive. Covered in blood from the ugly thorns then cut up weighs heavy as
takes forever to dry it is so dense. The termites voracious up there love it as much as I do so that is passionately. travels a thousand miles home dries it and goes to his wood club one night and a bloke came up to him and said I want you to give me a fair whack of that Conkerberry (the operative word give). My mate smiled said something quietly about the others ancestors or lack of. Brings me to the point never take timber lightly if you can buy dried quality specimens do so from the good guys, could save your life out in amongst the snakes, thorns. This small section Doc received was all my mate had left. Bear in mind Qld was flooded recently covering an area the size of Germany and France. Refer map of Aussie.

I have feelers out in twenty directions for more Conkerberry, I love it .

Good on you Doc I knew you would enjoy the colour and it turns and finishes beautifully.
Love your work (play) every one a winner.

Kind regards Peter.

PenPal

Just remembered a pic from a few years ago after cutting pen blanks from Conkerberry. Some Mulberry in amongst them, no use at this time for the waste gave it to a jewelry maker.

Regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0009 [640x480] [640x480] [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0009 [640x480] [640x480] [640x480].JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 928
Top Bottom