Conkerberry. Carissa Lanceolata

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

Classified as rare and I can vouch for that this Tree Shrub only grows about nine feet over a long period of time in pretty inhospitable arid areas around two thousand miles from me.Everything seems to want a piece of it it has white tubular leaves that turn to black edible fruits, also stock seek it out in drought times and since this applies to a large part of Australia and has for years now it is getting more scarce. It has a prickly exterior.

It is one of my favourites as you can see it has a dull orange to bright orange heartwood, narrow darker growth rings, sapwood is white to pale brown.These two pieces were all I could cut across the grain the last pic shows a cut piece that has splits and is hollowed out by white ants behind.

Dont you just love the chase and the making when you really prefer a timber.

Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0011.JPG
    DSCF0011.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 490
  • DSCF0013.JPG
    DSCF0013.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCF0009.JPG
    DSCF0009.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 259
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 341
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Peter, that is some nice work! I would like to see a pen from this wood that makes the beauty of the wood the focal point rather than the beadwork being the focal point.

workinforwood

Wow...that wood is awesome, I want some too! I'll take 500 bf please. She shape on those pens is interesting..combined with the color and finish it's making me crave some candy. When you fill that wood order..don't worry about the white ants...I'll resinate the cripey little buggers right into the pen!

Top Bottom