Concept Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenV

KenV

This is a "proof of concept" pen approach.

The pen is dyed maple burl on a sterling silver Seldona built into an Sitka Spruce bowl with ebony trim ring.
The intent was to build a ladies pen that would serve as a jewelry holder. The bowl is sized to hold bracelets, and the lower (cap) section of the pen serves as a ring holder.

The bowl is footed to provide some cover for the bottom of the integrated bowl-cap section and get the ebony band positioned for visibility. The intent of the band is to transition the break between the bowl and the pen.

Bowl is finished with lacquer and buffed. Pen is CA finish and buffed.

The addition of beads or other tactile shapes is certainly proper.

Critique and comments appreciated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodkiller

That is awesome. I just made one without the pen and it never occurred to me to incorporate a pen. :redface: I definitely like yours better though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 209

KenV

Thanks for the comments --

The pen is a roller ball - but with a change of the front end could be a fountain pen. Roller ball was what was requested.

Wood was local spruce from a tree. Sitka Spruce is miserable to turn and is soft. It is also plentiful and cheap for doing prototype work. The person who owns it loves it for the provenance.

Concept works and will try some variants over the next few months.

Owner uses the bowl/cap for a ring holder much of the time without the pen in place.

Next one will likely use a "soft" snap cap pen or a pen with a limited turn connection.

Top Bottom